Author Topic: New to me Quiver  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Easternarcher

New to me Quiver
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:36:52 pm »
Guys, I just have too much time on my hands! But I also do not have a trad quiver, so I made one! Not as fancy as most and certainly not up to the level of some people's work, but it is functional.

Simply a piece of scrap carpet for lining with an old leather coat from the goodwill glued over that for a better look.
Stitched with artificial sinew which left a rather ugly rolled seam, so I covered that with muskrat fur from another old coat that was given to me by a guy who recycles old furs into purses hats and mitts (how about that!).
Strap and harness came from an old overnight bag of mine (I never used that shoulder strap) Glued and stitched on with sinew again. Rim covered with more fur....I'm sure she'll hold a dozen shafts easy, but I'd never use that many, so 6-8 handily.

And, yes, these are handmade woodies and the two working longbows I have finished. Have another on the rack and a hornbeam bow to build as a gift to our hunting ground landowner.
Also mounted that mooserack myself 7 years ago. Proud of that one!

I needed one of these for 2 reasons:
1. I wanted to try a backquiver and didn't want to fork out 50-100.00 bucks for one.
2. A buddy and I are planning on a bunny hunt soon and I don't have any trad quiver to use.
It's not the best, but from all free scraps, I suppose it'll do. It's a bit heavier, but I like the weight, it helps hold it in place. the stiffness from the carpet also holds the shape well. Comments???

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: New to me Quiver
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 07:44:31 pm »
Looks good to me Eastern! Isn't made from primitive stuff but made with what you had handy - that's primitive thinking - good luck on the rabbit hunt :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »
Nothing wrong with that quiver, I like it and the idea of using whatever is close to hand to accomplish the goal. well done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 08:31:03 pm »
Run what ya brung ;)....I like it....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 11:00:28 pm »
Looks good to me.  Making something for free or nearly free sure beats buying it.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 08:03:06 am »
Cool quiver. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:32:49 pm »
Thanks folks....I know it's not exactly primitive, but as some of you appreciate..use whatcha got....if it's free, so much the better!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 01:31:20 pm »
Looks good to me too (So do the arrows and bows.)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 02:04:31 pm »
I love these threads...always get my creative juices running.  i checked the dumpster of a carpet store on the way home but the garbage guy beat me to it yesterday.  I am thinking that it would work nicely for a quiver lining for my two nephews. Thanks for the idea

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 09:49:37 pm »
  Very cool quiver. I hit the Salvation Army store all the time. This was really creative. Stiknstring; next time you hit the carpet store dumpster,be on the look out for the rolls inside the carpet. They are great for shipping staves,bows and shafts.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 10:18:04 am »
You sir are a 21st century primitive,and a recycler! I think its a great quiver! Now Im off to the good will and salvation army to look for goodies.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 02:38:41 pm »
Eddie that has to be my "why the heck didnt I think of that moment" for the week. I have a bow to send out soon and am seriously getting tired of sending taped together priority mail cartons lol....thanks for the heads up.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 07:01:07 pm »
Hmmm... we just got new carpetting... I got the old stuff >:D...

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 05:10:03 pm »
Another great idea from a creative individual shared with everyone!!!  Thanks!!
Wells
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan