Author Topic: Golf cart repair help  (Read 14489 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Golf cart repair help
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 08:23:07 pm »
I put the carburetor and everything else important back on the golf cart tonight.  I pulled the old fuel filter off and put the fuel line into a can so I could see if its pumping.  I cranked it over and nothing.  I pulled the fuel pump off and took it apart.  Finally something I'm familiar with, an air powered pump.  We use basically the same thing at work to pump sludge but a lot bigger.  I saw a stick under one of the check flaps.  I picked it out and tried it again.  Still nothing.  I pulled the pump off again and cleaned it all out.  I checked all of the gaskets and didn't see any cracks or holes.  I cleaned everything out on it and put it back together.  I cranked it over a bunch and I can feel slight pressure coming out of the fuel line but no gas.  I checked the suction line in the tank and its good.  I'm not sure why its not pumping any fuel.  Tomorrow I'm going to jump it off the truck battery and see if that gives it a little more cranking juice.  Maybe once I prime it real good it will take off and start to pump.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline stickbender

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 08:31:22 pm »

Is there a filter at the end of the hose in the tank, or an in line filter, that may be clogged?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 08:41:01 pm »
There is an inline filter after the pump.  I took the hose off the filter and I'm not getting anything out of the hose.  I ordered a new filter.  It should be delivered monday. 

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 09:37:17 pm »
And the hose was clear of obstructions? No cracks? Hmmm.... Well if it is clear of obstructions, try lifting the hose up and pour in some gas, and have someone spin the motor over a few times, to see if it pumps.  maybe it needs to be primed, like you said.  For that rust in the carb body, you can steel wool it, then blow that off, and or put a little oil in it, and a half a hand full of bb's or number 4 bird shot, and place the piece on a vibrator, and it will be clean of rust in short order.  A Friend of mine owns a marina, and their mechanic uses that technique to clean metal gas tanks, that are rusted inside.

Wayne
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:45:13 pm by stickbender »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 06:37:23 pm »
She's alive!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 12:15:03 am »
The pick-up end of the fuel line might have a screen on it and there might be a check valve to keep fuel at the pump.
 The video didn't work for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 12:32:08 am »
There is no screen or check valve Pat.  Since its finally above freezing today, I got back to work on it.  I hooked up a temporary fuel tank and gravity fed it to the carb.  It started and ran fairly smooth.  I forgot the fuel line from the pump wasn't connected to anything.  Once the engine started the fuel pump kicked in and started pumping the old fuel all over the floor.  I didn't notice for a while and had a big mess.  At least I know everything works on it now.  I ordered a new tube for the bad tire. I'll probably run put some stabilizer in it and run it until its empty.  I'm hoping to store it in my Dads garage for the winter.  I'll probably start the restore work next spring.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 01:37:03 am »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 07:33:13 am »
Neat.  Looks to be patterned after snow machines with a centrifugal clutch and rubber drive belt.  As a mechanic I spent many years fixing them along with motorcycles, also used to set them up for racing.  Don't enjoy working on them anymore.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 01:50:15 pm »
Should be cheap transportation to pappy's place and back in the spring. Not sure where big Bill is going to ride, but that's his problem...:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 02:26:08 pm »
I don't think she'd haul many staves Pearly.  Probably get better mileage than my truck though. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 07:53:38 pm »
I got the tube put in the leaky tire and decided to take it for a test drive.  It started and ran good but it seemed to be starving for fuel every 30 seconds or so.  I think my temporary fuel tank wasn't breathing enough.  I loosened the cap and it smoothed out.  Next on the repair list is the sticking gas pedal.  I missed hitting the wife's new car by 3"  :o   That would have been very bad.

Offline wildman

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2014, 11:37:08 pm »
Clint , just build an off road bumper for the golfcart , that way if you hit your wifes car it won't tear up the cart!! Duh  :laugh:
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 06:12:49 am »
Clint , just build an off road bumper for the golfcart , that way if you hit your wifes car it won't tear up the cart!! Duh  :laugh:
:o  :laugh:
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 06:30:50 am »
 ;) ;D ;D ;D Not that's funny. Glad to se it's coming together Clint. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good