Author Topic: Root Bows  (Read 1384 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Root Bows
« on: October 18, 2014, 01:48:10 pm »
I forget where I read it, but I remember reading about southwest Indians sometimes using a root from a willow tree to make a bow. Is Root bows a thing or just a cool story?

Offline PatM

Re: Root Bows
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 01:52:21 pm »
Maybe not a true willow but the concept seems believable.
 Desert trees have to have a substantial root system and it wouldn't be surprising if a tree with perhaps a too brittle top half might have roots that are just right.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 05:30:17 pm »
I have a big piece of black cherry root. It's been drying for 2 years. It's about 2" round with a big burl on one end. But it's really flexible. I don't think ud wanna make a bow from it. Maybe other roots differ.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:44:33 am »
American Indian Archery

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:32:56 am »
I was clearing one of my 4 wheeler trails many years ago after a wind storm we'd had.  A Balsam Fir, a very low density tree, had been blown over and a root was sticking out of the ground blocking the trail so I pulled out a hand axe and started chopping at it.  I was amazed at how hard and tough it was.  The tree itself has a density of about .30 but from chopping on it I could tell the density of this root was well over .60.  I got half way through, the root was about 4" in diameter, and tried to break it, it would not break.  I though that one day I would find a suitable root and make a bow out of it, haven't done it yet but I haven't forgotten
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com