Author Topic: Sad update from Charlie Jefferson(stringstrtcher)  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Sad update from Charlie Jefferson(stringstrtcher)
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:16:07 am »
I got this message this morning from Charlie and thought I'd cut and paste it here for you guys...

Well it looks like they have finally, after almost 5 years, found a name for what is/has been going on with me.  If you care to, look up Cerebellar Ataxia.   Not good news at all Pat.  Things with my balance has gotten really bad to the point that I will not drive now unless I have to.  Can hardly get from point A to point B any more.  It is a struggle just to stand and walk.

My body is basically shutting down its motor skills and will in  a short time render me to not be able to do for myself at all.  They say more than likely a nursing home is in my future.  No idea how quick that might be, but it will more than likely happen.

Not sure what the future will hold for me my friend, but have to accept it whether I want to or not.  So let some of the guys know what is going on if you will.  I am not going to post of PA or other sites about all this. 

I hope you and Marcia are well.

Thanks and God Bless
Charlie
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Sad update from Charlie Jefferson(stringstrtcher)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:22:55 am »
Yep Pat, I saw his post this morning on FB.  I'm deeply saddened.  Wishing the best for such a true, genuine fella. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline mhof86

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:32:45 am »
Can't imagine how hard that news must have been to digest.

If your reading this Charlie:

Without having the opportunity to get to know you Charlie I don't have much to offer aside from the cookie cutter hallmark "get well soon" type stuff, but in all honesty I hope for the best for you and your family.

My family will be praying for you and your loved ones.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 10:11:08 am »
Ye got a pm and made my day really sad, :( Great guy,I will keep him in my thoughts and payers,just maybe something good will happen to him for a change,he has had a tough few
years.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:59:48 am »
Can't imagine how hard that news must have been to digest.

If your reading this Charlie:

Without having the opportunity to get to know you Charlie I don't have much to offer aside from the cookie cutter hallmark "get well soon" type stuff, but in all honesty I hope for the best for you and your family.

My family will be praying for you and your loved ones.

X2

I do know how this stuff effects someone. My youngest brother has this exact same thing. He was  diagnosed about 8 years ago. He is able to take care of himself but he lives with mom and dad. He uses a motorized wheel chair. And he can use a Walker to get to the car. We still take him deer hunting every year and he normally gets one with his rifle. He got better to a point when the docs put him on a high nutrition diet(when he would eat it a little stubborn) he takes a vitamin B shot and needs vitamin D as well.

Hang in there buddy, there is some hope just  talk to a nutritionist and try to find someone that specializes in ataxia. You will definitely be in  my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks Pat for letting all of us know. Even though I haven't met a lot of you I consider you all an extended family. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 11:08:06 am »
Not nice to hear about things like this.
Charlie I hope you keep a positive outlook.
You don't know when and if things will turn around.
Keep the faith and be thank full for the good things.
Prayers
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:29:38 am »
Very sorry to hear that.  I looked it up...  not having heard of ataxia.  Hope you find a way to slow the progression.  Hang in there buddy.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 02:35:47 pm »
I have only met Charlie one time , and he is a fine ,fine person. Prayers for you friend.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 02:39:45 pm »
Keep that chin up Chuck! You know you have many friends and you are always in somebody's thoughts!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 03:50:48 pm »
I am sorry to hear this news.i have known Charlie for a few years now and bought feathers from him for years before we even met.he is one great fella to have at camp.great all around guy.i am gonna miss you at the classic buddy.you have my number Charlie if you ever need anything.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 03:57:55 pm »
Praying  is about all I have so here we go !!!!!!!!!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 04:25:20 pm »

Dang, that is hard to hear.  Only thing I can offer, is, if you want to try it, it sure won't hurt, but if you can get some organic, cold pressed coconut oil,(there are others that are boiled, and heated etc. and some have preservatives, and other chemicals) and start off with about a teaspoon or so three times a day, and work up to a tablespoon three times a day.  Or you can try a tablespoon and see how your body tolerates it.  I used a tablespoon right off, and had no problems, others have had energized bowels, starting off with that amount, while others like me have had no problems.  You can cook with it, or put it in your oatmeal, especially with mango.  Or you can make a smoothie with it.  A friend of mine puts it in warm water, and drinks it that way.  Anyway, there is a LOT of good scientific research showing that coconut oil is extremely good with brain disorders, of many kinds.  Alzheimer's, brain injuries, etc.  Sounds like this is affecting the cerebellum.  Do try the oil, and give it a month or so.  You might see a difference sooner, or you might not see any difference at all.  I can't say for sure that this will help in any way, but it surely will not harm you at all.  It is a great skin moisturizer, as well.  It is the only oil I cook with now.  They used to say, that once a brain cell dies, the brain can't regenerate another one.  They have since proved that belief to be wrong, and coconut oil, has been shown to be very beneficial to regenerating new brain cells.  Again, I am so sorry to hear this news.  Good wishes, and hopes sent your way.
                                   Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 04:31:10 pm »
I clicked on this thread and sat her for a good ten minutes before I got up the courage to scroll down and read. 

Charlie has his faults and flaws like all of us, but he is genuine! He is one of those people that embodies the PA Forum motto of "passing it along", and for that he holds an honored place in this community.  We have a rich tradition of chipping in money, talent, materials, and time to help out.  We know it makes a difference and builds community.  But at times like this many of us wish we could send Charlie a bit of our health and take on a bit of his disability, sharing the load, as it were. 

Sadly, that's not possible.  If it were, we'd have fixed the situation already.  Instead, we are stuck with offering what mhof86 calls cookie cutter hallmark "get well soon" type stuff and our prayers.  Like mhof86, I feel frustrated that I cannot fix this, I can only try to empathize. 

So screw it, this feeling bad, I am going to find something nice to do for someone like Charlie does. Could someone p.m. Charlie's email or phone number so I can keep in touch, too?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:45:54 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 06:33:24 am »
Thoughts and Prayers sent. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 08:14:07 am »
Thanks so much for the wishes, thoughts and prayers everyone.  It is going to be a struggle for sure, but I still will not give up trying.  The second MRI to confirm everything is in the making now and will be soon.  Lots of life style changes to come, but will make the best of it.  I can not hear on a phone good enough to have a conversation with anyone, so please if you want to contact me, please ues the PM on here or my email is bowjock@verizon.net.

I have been very blessed to have met, and shared time with a lot of you, and some I never have.  I have made many friends on here and other sites, but this is my best and always will be.

As for the classic, I as of now don't see another on in my future, but can always hope.  I will let someone know if there are any major changes that take place, but I think now, it is mostly a waiting game to see just how bad this will get.

Thanks and God Bless
Charles Jefferson.