Author Topic: Crazy Spine Cane Arrows  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Crazy Spine Cane Arrows
« on: October 15, 2014, 03:35:42 pm »
I have gotten into making cane arrows lately, just for the fun of it. I had made a few in the past but didn't have the straightening down so the process was laborious.

I have some cane I cut at least 5 years ago and kept in my attic that straightens pretty easily now. I made a few random arrows, checked the spines at around 65# on my tester, they all fly good out of my bow even though with woods it likes 57# arrows.

I like to letter my arrows with weight and spine and my finished canes with hardwood dowels in point and nock now spine out at 72# and weight over 600 grains, they still shoot great.

Have you guys found that spine doesn't matter with cane arrows? I have made some in the mid 50s as well as the mid 70s and they all fly the same out of my osage bow.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: Crazy Spine Cane Arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:53:51 pm »
I feel like I have seen the comment about cane being very forgiving spine wise come up a lot. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:17:48 pm »
Yes, Eric. I have some arrows that shot well from bows between 45# to 65#. I think the natural taper and cane's fast recovery is why they are so tolerant.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:56:04 pm »
I find the same Eric. I don't even own a spine tester and don't try to guess. I grab like diameters from end to end and make arrows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 05:51:58 pm »
Yep! me too. That's why I like Boo and Cane, I don't have a Spine Checker.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:25:35 pm »
Yeah dude, I don't ever spine test anything and I pretty much only use cane and bamboo.  The stuff is nature's gift to primitive archers.  I eye-ball and it and see if they shoot well. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 08:39:31 pm »
Well Guys, I hate to through a negative spin on this post, but IMHO, I "think" I have made quite a few arrows, way more than I can loose,  :)  and plus I'm sort of a "lazy perfectionist"  so I don't like to make too many arrows that don't shoot well through a specific bow.  Therefore,  I spine to get them in the ball park. Then fine tune (bare shaft) using length and point weight to get perfect flight. The main thing in good arrow flight (not accuracy) before all of that is shaft straightness.  And wall thickness plays a big part in spine with cane, boo is a little more tolerable than my KY river cane IMO.  :) ;)
DBar
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:22:05 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 08:56:24 pm »
The arrows I make that don't fly worth a hoot get sold at Knap-In's or to someone that wants a Primitive arrow to hang on the wall. Usually, no less then $45 a piece. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 09:00:42 pm »
Man, I knew I was doing it all wrong   ;D ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 05:52:09 am »
I make them one at a time,guess I don't have the process down good enough, :-\ if I make up a dozen just by size alone i might get 3 or 4 out of a dozen that hit where I look and the same, I am not the greatest shot by any stretch but I know when it's the arrow and when it's me.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 10:29:55 am »
I finished one yesterday, didn't notice when I straightened it that a couple of the "between the nodes" sections were oval shaped instead of round. well, I had it straightened and stained so I made an arrow out of this shaft. My first test shots were awful, low and 6" to the left every time. I turned the cock feather in and tried another shot, perfect flight and hit right where I was looking, same for subsequent test shots. Because I mark my arrows with weight and spine, I know to put old "57# 611gr" cock feather in if I want to hit what I am shooting at.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:33:47 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 11:55:20 am »
Like Bill, I have made hundreds of cane arrows, several different kinds of cane. I spine test and weigh them because people are always asking. Cane does seem to be real forgiving in the spine area. I also break all the rules that the really primitive guys espouse. I will scrape and sand them to get within spine range, if it seems the shaft can handle it, wall thickness is real important. If you do sand them, wait until they are competely cool before spine testing, also when you are straightening them, or you may find that 55 spine became 65 or even 70.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 05:41:11 am »
I also sand or scrape them or leave some longer or cut shorter to get the same flight characteristic
in a given set, Eric I also do that a lot it seems with cain,if it don't shoot right rotate it and try again,lots of times that is all it needs,then I make the nock with a black sharpie so I know how to nock each arrow. They are tough,we call them natures carbon,but as some say they can do,if i just throw a set together they never seem to work well for me,but if I take my time on each they make some great arrows for sure.  :) Hope to see some of yours in AL. this spring. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 10:29:22 am »
Hope I can make it in the spring Pappy. I have a shoulder that went south and need to get it fixed, shooting a bow is a problem since I injured it. It is a toss up, miss some of deer season or miss some of the tournaments while I heal.

Back to cane arrows; I make my nocks by first gluing a 2" a long, 1/4" diameter hardwood dowel in the cane. On lower spined arrows you don't have much wall thickness to drill out the cane for your dowel and the walls will split as you insert the drill. I get around the splitting by wrapping the end to be drilled with tight wraps of painters tape before I drill.

I like the dowel reinforced nocks, very strong, no wrap required and invisible. 

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 09:36:42 pm »
On most of mine, I put my nock end just back of a node( 3/8 to 1/2 inch) depending on how deep you want your nock, then I wrap with sinew or a braided thread. Make your arrow shaft a little long and if you or your buddies are good enough to do a robin hood it can be drilled and inserted. I don't do the long foreshafts, I put as much of an insert at the point as I can and then I taper it like a regular wood arrow for field points. You can take the field points off later and cut slots for knapped points or just put on metal glue-ons.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.