Author Topic: The First Annual Amazon Gathering article?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline JEB

The First Annual Amazon Gathering article?
« on: October 15, 2014, 02:40:14 pm »

While at hunting camp this week one of the topics of discussion was the article in the Oct/Nov about the amazon gathering.  It was noted that the woman where shooting bows with the arrows on the wrong side of the bow.   Was this the norm for archers on horses?

JacksonCash

Re: The First Annual Amazon Gathering article?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:01:16 pm »
I believe it has to do with shooting with a thumb ring, the bow string can twist the arrow away from the bow if held on the side of the bow that is traditional in the west.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:22:20 pm »
When shooting with a thumb ring the arrow goes on the right side of the bow because of the way the thumb opens up to the right when the arrow is released. When shooting with the Mediterranean style release the fingers open to the left so the arrows are shot from the left side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:28:05 pm »
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I read that article, it struck me that those ladies were having far more fun than the rest of us combined. 

Great article, by the way!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

JacksonCash

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:37:53 pm »
It certainly was great, but now my wife wants a horse bow... Guess I've got some work to do.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 06:37:01 am »
I enjoyed it also - nice to see like minded People having fun with a Bow in their hand. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.