Author Topic: "Island Girl"  (Read 18368 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
"Island Girl"
« on: October 11, 2014, 01:52:14 pm »
This is Island Girl. At last year Classic Josh(GunDoc) gave me this stave. The story goes that he and his daughter found an osage tree on an island near where he lives in Kansas. He cut the tree and split it out into staves. They left the island without the wood and totally forgot about it for 15 years. The river had changed course and made the island inaccessible by land like before. Fifteen years later he was out on he island again and found the staves and recovered them.
 The stave Josh gave me was well checked, and good ones at that but he must have been confident I could find a bow in it and here she is. Her name came to me right off the bat, "Island Girl". While reducing the stave I split off a shorter belly split. After reducing it I realized I had enough wood for a shorty sinew backed bow. I tillered this little stave out to 40#@20 and soon I'll be adding 2 or 3 layers of cow sinew. With this short stave having come from "Island Girl" I thought of the shorty as her little sister and the name "Gidget" popped into my head.
 Here are some pics...

A while back Pearlie sent me a pair of carp skins. They were relatively short but I knew eventually I'd find the bow for them...and Island Girl  was the recipient...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:12:22 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: "Island Girl"
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 02:04:11 pm »

In these pics you will see the checks that remained in the stave. I added super glue to these checks, back and belly(they went through) and every time I reduced the belly a bit I added more super glue where needed. You can see the dark lines on the back(even down under the carp skins) and the belly and at the tip on the other end...

...and I added lemonwood tip overlays. They should show up nicely as the osage darkens with age...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:13:42 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 02:09:53 pm »
...and now for the money shots. I realize the outer 1/3 of each limb is a bit stiff but with the checks and all the super glue I left them that way. She shoots well with a little thump when released but I'm sure that is the stiff outer limbs.

Island Girl is 66"t/t, 52#@26".  This next pic is of Island Girl with her still unfinished little sister Gidget. My plan for Gidget is to be part of a set that will grace the raffle table at the Tenn Classic next spring. Here are the sisters together...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:15:33 pm by Pat B »

Offline Klondike

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 02:23:55 pm »
Love the looks of that one, the skins look sweet!!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 02:44:03 pm »
Pat, you turned that cracked stick into a beauty.
those skins sure are pretty, and that'll be a cool little
piggy back bow too I'm sure

Offline Chadwicksbog

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 02:45:20 pm »
Nice! Super nice!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 02:48:45 pm »
Wow!  Nicely done Pat!  I knew you could make that old stick shine.  I'm really diggin the names!  Very fitting.  Josh

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 03:12:49 pm »
Outstanding work Pat.  I always get stoked when I see that you have posted a bow.  I've never won a raffle in my life, but I will be giving this one a try.  :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 03:21:24 pm »
Thanks everyone. Except for the checks this was some fantastic osage with dense, thick growth rings and red streaks through out the stave. It was a pleasure to work. Thanks again Josh. I happy I did the stave proud.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 03:21:49 pm »
Love seeing these kinds of bows Pat.  Nicely done Sir.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 03:26:18 pm »
Great googley woogley!  I am doubling down on my plans to be in Tennessee for next year's classic just so I can see the set!  I did not think it was possible for you to top last year's bow/arrow set, O Bearded Wonder, but you did it! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 03:27:25 pm »
Awesome, Pat! Great bow.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 03:48:47 pm »
JW, the two bows won't be the set. I think my wording was confusing.  :-[  Island Girl will be one of my hunting bows this year.  I'm planning to make arrows and a quiver for Gidget and offer that as a set. After last year I wanted to try to top the $700 the hickory backed lemonwood ALB brought.
 I'd like to challenge everyone that is going to the Tenn. Classic next spring to add something big to the raffle table. Lets show Twin Oaks how much we appreciate them!  8)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 03:51:58 pm »
Pat,
        Really nice...Love all the character, excellent work on that one 8)
                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 04:43:27 pm »
Pat, That is a beauty of a bow.  I love a bow made from wood with a bit of a history.  Great job getting a shooter out of that checked stave.  I can't wait to meet her little sister next year at the Classic  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left