Author Topic: Eastern Red Cedar and 32 inch draw  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Grandpa Bill

Eastern Red Cedar and 32 inch draw
« on: October 09, 2014, 07:48:15 pm »
I have my first stave of ERC which is about 68 inches long, straight grained with no troublesome knots.  Can I get a 32 inch draw @ 60 lbs from that size stave.  If this was one of my board bows, I would have used something 74-76 inch long.

Thanks for your answers

Grandpa Bill
Aim Small - Hit Small - Repeat

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Eastern Red Cedar and 32 inch draw
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 08:08:49 pm »
If your tiller is spot on I'd say yes.
if it were mine I'd go 30". Back it for sure
with rawhide or something.
It will be a very stout and thick long bow

Offline Grandpa Bill

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:17:56 pm »
I plan on leaving about 1/4 inch of white sap wood and then using a rawhide backing.  It is going to be a gift so the 32" draw length is not adjustable.

Grandpa Bill

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:00:11 pm »
To be honest, at that length 60#@28" would be a challenge.  I certainly wouldn't build it with the intent of putting it in another's hands.  Just my .02 . Josh

Offline 21st century archer

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 12:18:26 am »
I have erc bows pulling around 50 pounds that I commonly draw up to half of bow length. I believe to make an erc bow that draws up to half its length you need a perfect tiller and some heartwood on the belly because all the sapwood bows that I draw far tend to take lots of  set. I believe you can get a 60 pound bow with a 32 inch draw out of your stave. I would definitely go for a bend in the handle bow with a perfect circular tiller. A rawhide backing would be a good choice but you can make it a selfbow if you want. I would have at least 2/3 sapwood and 1/3 heartwood but try not to go past 1/2 sapwood and 1/2 heartwood unless using some sort of backing. I have seen a erc warbow on the paleoplanet forums that pulled around 80-100 pounds.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:35:50 am »
Get a longer stick  8)

Offline Grandpa Bill

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:22:54 pm »
Thanks for the responses ... I appreciate them all.

I have lots of heartwood - the stave is 3 inches thick with about 1/2 inch of sapwood.  I am not a stave bowyer (this is my second) so your opinions mean alot.  I think I will find another piece of wood for this bow - I can always use the ERC for a different style and shorter draw. 

Thanks again

Grandpa Bill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 08:30:07 pm »
I think you could. I'd start out 2" wide and fade it out, Pyramid style. And leave as much sapwood as you can.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?