Author Topic: Funky looking bow tiller  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Joec123able

Funky looking bow tiller
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:34:30 pm »
I started this bow a while back and now that have no other wood to work on I figured I'd begin on it again. I've never tillers or even seen a bow this odd looking I don't think but I'd love to get some help on this tiller

The stave it came from I posted about awhile ago
I like osage

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Funky looking bow tiller
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:38:11 pm »
  :o I think I would have to put it on a caul add some heat and straighten that sucker out some. :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:55 pm »
  :o I think I would have to put it on a caul add some heat and straighten that sucker out some. :)
DBar

Now what fun would that be ?  ;)  :D
I like osage

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:48:09 pm »
Just make sure every part of it is bending even if it is deflexed.

That is quite a difficult stave!

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:51:24 pm »

Jawge

Yes very we got one limb deflex then a heavy reflex then the other is deflex reflex deflex reflex LOL
I like osage

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:52:13 pm »
You have been bit by the same crooked bug that bit me!!  You are at a crossroads with that one.  You can do like Bill suggested and straighten in out with some heat or you can proceed as is.  I am sort of twisted and would probably proceed to tiller as is.   ;D  How it looks when it's drawn, how it feels in the hand, and how it shoots are all more important than what it looks like on the tree.  When I am tillering one that wonky I just sort of blur my vision while watching the limbs bend.  I try to imagine a well tillered bows lines as they run through those badly deflexed and reflexed roller coaster bends.  I have to focus more on questions like, "Is that section of the limb doing its share of the bending?"  and "Are the limbs bending equally?".  That one ought to be fun.  ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 09:57:30 pm »
If you have the technology to do so, superimpose resting, braced, and drawn profiles over each other. If not just do like Jawge says.

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 10:00:51 pm »
see my posts in this thread for how i deal with this sort of stave
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43701.msg588408.html#msg588408
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 10:05:48 pm »
It's gonna be easy to end up with the left limb weaker than the right. Left looks decent but right limb needs to bend more in the dip at mid limb.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 10:08:41 pm »
You're doing a pretty fair job of it so far.  I'm impressed!  To my eyes, it looks like you need a little more bend on the inner 1/4 of the left limb and a little more bend in the outer 1/4 of the right limb.  Also, your right limb is a bit stronger  than the left. Like I said I'm impressed so far.  Josh

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 10:09:19 pm »
I agree with JonW.  That right limb looks a good bit thicker and stronger.  You have a nice bend on the left limb.  Some horizontal lines in your backdrop is a good thing when you are tillering one like that.  If the limbs are bending equal amounts (down to the same horizontal line on the wall) then you are on your way. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 12:07:46 am »
One trick I have used to help me see the bend better has been to draw a chalk line on the wall behind the bow when it is unbraced. Seems to give me a better view of how far the limb is travelling in any given spot compared to other spots. Good luck with her  ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 04:05:34 am »

Jawge

Yes very we got one limb deflex then a heavy reflex then the other is deflex reflex deflex reflex LOL
Yeah, but on average... it's fine ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 09:11:55 am »
Thanks so much guys for the advice so far I plan to get alittle work done on it today and see where I'm at
I like osage

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 09:12:53 am »
You're doing a pretty fair job of it so far.  I'm impressed!  To my eyes, it looks like you need a little more bend on the inner 1/4 of the left limb and a little more bend in the outer 1/4 of the right limb.  Also, your right limb is a bit stronger  than the left. Like I said I'm impressed so far.  Josh

Thanks!  that gives me some motivation !
I like osage