Author Topic: Flake Spacing  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Jodocus

Flake Spacing
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:41:37 pm »
Yesterday evening I was pressure flaking, when suddenly it occurred to me that I have no idea how to space flakes along an edge. Actually, I just press off a flake here and there, wherever I see a suitable platform and the need to remove some material.

Now I do feel how a good ridge helps the flaking process, and I do suspect that spacing them right in one pass will probably greatly improve the flaking in the next pass.

But how? How do you guys determine how far apart to put the first row of flakes?
Don't shoot!

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: Flake Spacing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:54:10 pm »
In my opinion the distance between flakes depends on several things;  The size of the material you are working on,  what material it is, the shape and thickness of your spall, and how far you need to run the flakes across to make the next pass work.  If I am looking for the next place to initiate a flake I like to work on the problem areas first and make the very best platform I can to be successful.  I think learning to read the rock is the most difficult thing to master!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:48:46 pm »
If I am looking for the next place to initiate a flake I like to work on the problem areas first and make the very best platform I can to be successful.

That sounds much like what I do!  ;D Now I just need to get hang on
The size of the material you are working on,  what material it is, the shape and thickness of your spall, and how far you need to run the flakes across to make the next pass work.
:-\
Don't shoot!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 09:23:32 pm »
I do the same as Joe unless I'm working slabs.

Then I work a pass down each side about  quarter inch apart depending on the flaker and size of the slab. Then grind the weak points off the platforms that are sticking up, dress the angle, and do it again.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:26 pm »
The flakes on mine are random unless I'm trying to duplicate a certain style of point that has a certain flaking pattern (like Scottsbluff).  The hardest thing for me is to get a good clean pass of identical flakes all the way down the edge.  I usually have one mistake (hinge or short flake) for every three good ones.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:34:51 am »
Thanks guys. From this I take that I'm doing it right and there's no need to try to be overly regular in pattern.
Don't shoot!

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:31:24 am »
Like Patrick said, certain point types did demonstrate precise flaking patterns. If you aren't trying to replicate those styles, then random is fine.

When I am making side notched hunting heads I tend to setup running platforms and try to keep flakes consistent so I can match grain weight easier. As has already been mentioned, he distance between flakes changes with regard to the size of the point, the way you're removing them and the size of your flaker. Percussion flakes can be up to an inch apart, while final pass edge flakes can be 1/8" apart.

Or another way to think about it... On an even surface that is mostly without problems, the flake you just ran should leave a ridge that your next flake should run under. This process will carry all the way down your point. Or at least, that's the theory.  ::)

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 12:29:32 pm »
Great thread and good comments and ideas we novice need to think about. I know when we look at the points being made on here we strive for symmetry and good straight lines. Patrick, I didn't know you made mistakes, your points are top shelf! But yes good flake scars seem to be a sign of mastery of the art. Hopefully some day I too can get this down. As many have said "Its all about tonnage "
Knapper
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:38:12 pm by Knapper »
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 01:05:59 pm »
I typically do it one of two ways, one I learned from Jim Winn (he has a video somewher on YouTube on this). Of course to start any method you random flake where necessary to get good convexity and a smooth point. What Jim does is to take a flake, which winds up thin at the point where it was removed and widens out as it travels. What he does is to take two to three small flakes that straighten up the lines on that last flake scar so that you get a straighter ridge for the next flake to follow, and so on as you move down the point. He straightens up the curve in the flake with these smaller flakes at the "delta." And you proceed a quarter inch or more down the point like this depending on how big your flake scars are to begin with. Of course don't forget to bevel and grind and work below center before you start the flaking process.

Conversely, it works pretty good on some materials to just skip your flakes a quarter inch or more apart down the point and go back up and clean the deltas (the area between flake scars) out afterwards.

I do either or - not really convinced one is better than the other and it makes a nice pattern if a pattern is what you are after. Of course it is more random than FOG no matter what - as already mentioned.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 10:47:22 pm »
Very cool thread. Thanks for starting it Jodocus.
Nice to be here sharing the awesome info you all provide.
I started with pretty crappy materials. Most of which are never
abo knapped with any pattern but random.
My concentration was on wide, long and fluted blades.
Hard to pressure flake across well.
I have not put to much time and effort into patterned flaking
until recently. Now I can get material that may allow me to
knapp it with some foreseeable outcome.  I am sure the materials
will make the difference as well as all the neat info right here.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.