Author Topic: New Workbench  (Read 2556 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

New Workbench
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:09:35 pm »
Hi all

Been thinking about building a new work bench for myself and was wondering if there are any "must have" accessories, vises, or work arounds, tool trays, etc you would want built into a new bench?  Thanks for your thoughts.

Russ

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: New Workbench
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 01:13:11 pm »
i built a tillering tree with a pulley into mine. just have to make sure your bench wont move.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:06:47 pm »
Make it sturdy! Mine is 4x4 legs, 2x4 frame and 3/4" plywood, glued and screwed. I bolted mine to the basement block wall and already pulled the bolts out once and had to redo them.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:08:09 pm »
Make it big! That's my advice. Mine is 4 x 8 and I use every inch of it. I have 2 vices and my beloved Cody press mounted for various things and uses. Plus, my little 9" band saw Clint gave me for trimming tips, arrows and leather.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 04:09:27 pm »
Good call Pat. 4 x 4 legs and a 5/8" MDF top for me. Plus about 50 feet of 2 x 4 screwed around the apron to hold it together. It still moves a touch of I get mad enough at sapwood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 04:33:51 pm »
I just finished rebuilding one of mine.The backboard for the tiller tree swivels so it doesn't get in the way. The top of the bench is a 36" door that hinges open for my hotbox. The box uses an old waterbed heater instead of light bulbs for basic heat. I insulated it with a couple of old blankets. One of them was an electric blanket but I couldn't find the controller to use it for heat. It also has a dehumidistat so I can set the humidity at about 50%. The dehumidistat controls a 300 watt bulb and a computer fan in the little box on the end (under the clock) just to give a little boost if the humidity gets to high. Since I built it the outside humidity has been 70-90% but in the box it's 45-55%.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:39:23 pm by DC »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:05:35 pm »
That's a great combo hot box/bench DC. I never thought about using an electric blanket element for a hot box. I bet you get even heat with it unlike with light bulbs.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:17:58 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 06:11:13 pm »
no worries guys, the bench will be plenty heavy and plenty large, as it must accommodate more than bowyery.  I would be surprised if it moves while planing, but if it does, it will get bolted to the floor.       I like the idea of the built in hot box.  Gonna have to give that some thought.   

PD -  what kind of vises do you use?   Something particular for holding a stave, or just a regular bench vise.  What is a Cody Press? 

I need a leg vise and I need the ability to clamp betw dogs.  I don't think either are a great solution for holding bows (although custom jaws in the leg vise will work) -  so -- exactly which vises do you find convenient to hold a bow?  I like the look of some of those guitar vises, but never had the chance to use one.  Ditto to the Parrot vise. 

Tiller tree off the back of the bench with the rope threaded under the top.  Hmmm... Interesting, but would block the only windows I have.  Hmmm.  Another one for the drafting table. 

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.  Specifically, what vises do you all use? 

Russ

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 12:21:21 am »
Make it big! That's my advice. Mine is 4 x 8 and I use every inch of it.
Bud, you got a pair of LONG arms!   :o
I'd have no hope of reaching the stuff hangin' on the wall.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 08:02:41 am »
I have a monster Columbian on one side, a small 4" vice on the other side to hold a tiller stick and my press in the center on one end. I call it a Cody press. Its Misslemasters version of a stave press. Works great with a few improvement he made to the design.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 10:01:47 am »
I have my vise about 18" from the end of my work bench. I bolted a post on the end of my bench to support objects that are in the vise to keep them from shifting while doing some heavy rasping or draw knifing. I use the same post for heat bending and straightening.

My advise is to make your bench as big and heavy as you can so it won't walk across the floor when you get serious about shaping wood with hand tools. I bought prefab cabinet drawer sets from Lowes and built my bench with slots to slide them into for a perfect fit. I am lousy at making drawers from scratch. The drawers are filled with heavy power tools and miscellaneous stuff and make the bench that much heaver.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:15:50 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 11:57:22 am »
I have a monster Columbian on one side, a small 4" vice on the other side to hold a tiller stick and my press in the center on one end. I call it a Cody press. Its Misslemasters version of a stave press. Works great with a few improvement he made to the design.

Do you think you could post a picture of the Cody Press??