Author Topic: Heavy arrow lighter bow?  (Read 4728 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Heavy arrow lighter bow?
« on: September 13, 2014, 12:15:00 am »
I just got done with some shafts of rose that are quite heavy.  The bow I am shooting them out of is 49#@27" pulled to about 26".  The average arrow weight is about 650 grains with heads.  I am going to be shooting 90 grain obsidian heads for hunting.  I have one of the heavier ones with a 125 grain field tip on to see how the flew before I did any lightening, it shoots great hits hard.  That arrow weighed in at 700 grains, I was hitting a six inch square at 23 yards consecutively.  Should I take the weight down or leave them.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Heavy arrow lighter bow?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 12:31:20 am »
No brainer in my "small"  mind.....if you limit your self to 20 yds and can consistently shoot a 6" group at 20 yds use the same grain weight point.  I use lead or brass rods and drill out the point end of the shaft to get the weight point I shoot the best.  Sounds like to me your there....Matt.  Total arrow weight is a mater of shooting pratices/tradjectry/drop, point weight has to do with spine and arrow flight/tuning.  unless I'm missing something.. :)
DBar
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:34:32 am by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 12:36:20 am »
If you learn the trajectory of your arrow(and apparently you have) there is no problem. Penetration shouldn't be a problem.  ;)
 Your rose shoots are weight forward naturally because of the natural taper so point weight isn't that critical. Good arrow flight and your accuracy is all that matters.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 12:41:31 am »
Good to know Pat.  Thanks.  I have been shooting the bow you sent me and man it's the nicest bow I have shot.  I am hoping to get an elk next weekend with it. 

Thanks Dan.  I need to get some lighter tips for practicing.  90 grain obsidian heads seem like as big as I want to get so I know I can get some glue on heads at that weight. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:40:22 am »
I have confidence in you and the bow I sent you. Now, if the elk cooperate we should see a cool hero shot next week.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 10:03:41 am »
My fingers are crossed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:13:47 am »
I am shooting a 48# bow at 28". My finished arrows are all between 515 & 525. I shot some sourwoods that are 625 grains plus. I could learn to hit what I want with them, but I question the energy they deliver. Im no math wiz my any stretch, but there has to be a threshold on arrow weight when it becomes too much. My lighter arrows penetrate my target much farther at 18 yards than my super heavies. I think Ive crossed that threshold. Kind of like too big of tires for your trucks engine. Not saying your in trouble with your rig Matty, just tossing in some findings and rough numbers of my own.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 09:27:36 am »
I have wondered the same pearl.  I just finished a set of four target arrows that weigh 702 grain each.  They are all a little long still so I can reduce weight if I need to but I am curious of you findings.  It seams like my heavier arrows are hitting the target harder, but I shoot a double layer sisal feed bag stuffed with thick plastic mattress wrap.  It's hard to see the penetration but it sound like a louder thud with the heavies rather than the 540 s that I've been shooting.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 09:32:45 am »
I understand the heavy arrow concept and I understand FOC. Until I leave one of my 500-550 grain arrows in a deer, I see no reason to get heavier. They have all passed through. Matter of fact, Ive never left an arrow in a deer in 23 years of hunting them with various styles of bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 09:35:15 am »
I've still never shot any big game animal with a bow of any kind.  I am hoping this year is my year.  Do you think I should reduce the weight?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 09:40:47 am »
I think 650 grains for a 45-46# bow is too much, especially at such a short power stroke of 26". That's just my feelings though. Im sure they can work, but Id want flatter shooting-quicker arrows. Too much happens after that string is let go, regardless of how "zoned" in your shot was.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 09:44:23 am »
Good to know,  how much farther past you draw do you cut your arrows?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 09:56:59 am »
1" max. Truth is, I slightly short draw more often than I over draw.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 09:58:48 am »
The I might shorten these things and see what I am working with :)

Offline TimBo

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 10:34:40 pm »
I think for elk I would guess on the heavier side for arrows, especially if you are shooting them well!