Author Topic: Less than Sixty Seconds  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Zuma

Less than Sixty Seconds
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:24:18 pm »
I was clearing back new growth on my shooting lanes. I leave a few invasive olive trees/bushes for early spring color and berries for wild life. One of these olives had sprouted to much new growth.
I was on the little backhoe and got the front bucket tangled in the growth. Very steep area and tipping is a constant worry so I keep the throttle on turtle/slow. Zap like a electric shock to my skull behind my ear.
I looked back to see if a branch had snapped loose and whacked me. That is when I saw a swarm of at least a hundred yellow jackets-maybe hornets?
I knew my goose would be cooked if to many got me. I struggled to get the machine free and thought about bailing. Not enough time to get the seat belt off shut down and run. So I got loose while using my hat as a swatter (love you hat). I felt like a bull rider swatting with one hand in the air and the other trying to shift and steer. I had another problem too.  Still on hillside, I had to look out for obstacles and dips because the fastest way out was through an area of high grass that had perk holes that were filled but still have cavities. It was like being on a run away horse in a bomb zone.
I could feel a few bees with every swat of the hat. Saved my arse.
I got with in running range of the house where the land is much more level, about eighty yards from the nest.
I dropped the loader bucket turned off the key and hi tailed in. I was still swatting a few as I ran.
I only got stung once more in the right side. Through my shirt or under it? I am allergic and guess I was pretty panicked. Backhoe and bees near brought me to my knees. I LOVE my hat.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Less than Sixty Seconds
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 01:37:40 pm »
Love stories with bees.  So you're allergic to them?  Yikes!!   :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 01:53:31 pm »
Man, you got lucky. Down in Southern Arizona, they've got swarms of Africanized ("Killer") bees. They've killed a few people. The fire department in Phoenix has special equipment to deal with them. They usually use foam.

As an aside, I've tasted the honey from Africanized bees. Super sweet, thick, and doesn't crystalize.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:27:30 pm »
Lucky is correct. I am supposed to have a quick stick hypodermic
with some kinda medication in it.. That's worse than a bee bite. lol
I would most likely stick myself just riding the bouncing hoe.
I was injected by a poisonous caterpillar and mainline stung by a stump hornet
the same week. The caterpillar made me sit down immediately with nausea and swollen lymph glands. The hornet was next and put me in the hospital with weaves of wavy breakouts all over my body. That was thirty years ago. A honey bee stung me between the toes and swoll up my calf like a giant football to the knee.
About eight years ago I got stung by a wasp in the eye lid. Closed both eyes for two days.
I guess just one killer bee could snuff me.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 02:46:11 pm »
I have had it out with Yellow jackets. I do all the sign maintenance for the city I work in. The old style poles (Telspar) are a yellow jacket haven.  I would be standing on the toolbox of my utility truck pounding out rivets and they would swarm out in force. My helper hated them, I would ask for the spray and he would be 3 houses away. Somehow I only get stung while I am not doing anything (eating a hot dog, driving, sitting minding my own business). Not to poke fun, but did you look like this?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:59:02 pm »
Dang man, that photo could go on the cover of a Whitley Strieber book. No offense.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:14:09 pm »
Zuma, you should make yourself some bee medicine. You'll need ten yellow pony beads, ten black pony beads, a buckskin cord (must be white buckskin dyed black from burned oak wood mixed with mutton fat), a badger paw with claws attached, and two pieces of dark green turquoise drilled out. You mount the badger paw dead center on the cord and flank it with the turquoise. Then on each side, alternate five beads of each color going black-yellow-black-yellow-black and so on. They have to go black first, can't be yellow first. Then a woman has to chant over it at dawn. Has to be a woman and then she has to tie the ends of the cord afterwards. After that, you can't untie it for any reason. Then you need to smudge it with a combination of juniper needles, greasewood, grey sage, sunflower leaves, and wild tobacco. Wear this and bees and other stinging insects won't bother you.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:36:14 pm »
I will put my faith in an Epi-pen.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 08:38:57 pm »
But a little Juju never hurt anyone, right?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 08:46:18 pm »
Not at all. It works.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 09:20:45 pm »
Holy crap Jojo,
My eyes did look like that, but I am way better good lookin.
Jw's epi-pen could not help me and my looks---
I need and got Juju. Ran out of mutton fat last week, Damn!
Zuma
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:24:06 pm by Zuma »

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 09:35:03 pm »
Mutton fat is also a great lip balm against wind, so I'm told. But you really gotta love mutton.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 04:04:52 pm »
I've had a few bee rumbles, but when you start getting the hives and you start having a hard time breathing your in big trouble. Almost checked out but was lucky enough to get some medical attention and a shot. Been bit since and and didn't need anything. Had a friend who died from one bee bite. I'm thinking that that sprays and chemicals are making their stings more toxic.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 12:34:08 pm »
Quote from: Will Tell link=topic=48401.msg661201#msg661201 date=1410545740 I'm thinking that that sprays and chemicals are making their stings more toxic.
[/quote

You may be correct. Look at what I pumped at the little suckers.
Yeah and they are still buzzin in and out of the hole.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:37:39 pm by Zuma »

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 02:29:03 pm »
Dang, you're almost at MOPP4 to do yard work.  :D