Author Topic: Tiller help Yew guys?  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Tiller help Yew guys?
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:19:38 am »
Sorry I couldn't help myself.  I've been working on this bow for awhile and while I think it's coming along nicely I'd like to get the opinion of the PA crew 'cause my eyes hurt.  She's Ash backed edge grain Pacific Yew.  The ash is about 1/8" thick.  The Yew piece was a weird lumbered chunk that had some sapwood, but it was the only way I could get a bow out of it.  It ended up with some sapwood on the belly edge through the handle and about 8" and 3" into the respective limbs.  Also had to fill a couple of sapwood checks with superglue  Anyways she's braced to 6" and pulling about 44@22 looking for 44@ 28 to maybe settle above 40 after shooting in.  I ended up with some hingey looking business on what I've thus far dubbed the bottom limb.  That would be the one on the left in the braced and drawn photos and the right on the unbraced(sorry about the switcharoo)  The profile is 1 1/8" for the center 24 inches then taper to 1/2" tips and the bow is 65 1/2" NTN.  The handle section is 1 1/4" deep and not bending.  I'm looking for some tiller critique. Thanks for the help guys!

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Tiller help Yew guys?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 02:37:53 am »
id say mid limb on the right is looking a little stiff

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:59:24 am »
I'd say outer and mid on right is stiff. Tips look heavy, but I dunno how wide they are...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 12:23:28 pm »
Cool, glad I posted thanks for the help Del and wizard goat I'll remedy that and start chasing weight
Cheers

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 01:45:31 pm »
I really like how that sap wood looks. Hopefully it works out for u man.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 04:37:52 pm »
  If you want to really critique your tiller, take a picture of you drawing the bow. 99% of the time the tiller will change based on hand pressure and draw hand position because of the different pressures applied aside from the tree. I have seen mine really change off the tree. You can also tell if one or the other limb feels out of balance.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:53:24 pm »
Me too Blaflair.  Good call Don I'll have to wait for the lady to take some pics, and of course not overdraw it  >:D  Thanks for the input guys.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:11:45 am »
 That's a beautiful handle, I hope you leave it naked...Be sure a post some close pics of it when your done...

Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:14:59 am »
I see a good bend on each limb. The right appearing a bit stiffer is all.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 08:22:28 pm »
So here's the full draw, after shooting in it ended up right at 40@28.  A bit whip tillered maybe?  Shoots better than anything I've made yet, I'll be sad to see her go.  Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.  Sorry about the terrible background, next time I'll have to hang a blanket or something.  I'll post some pics after the finish dries.  I think I will leave the handle naked burchett.donald and Blaflair.  Cheers
Sam

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 06:07:20 am »
 Sam, I can't see where it's whip tillered, I like the bend on the limbs. Be looking forward to finished pics. Keep us posted...
                                                                                                                          Don
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:12:07 am by burchett.donald »

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 11:17:51 am »
    nice save on yew, looks great, very cool

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 11:22:56 am »
Nice work. Looks like it's time for some lipstick, and a good finish :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:54:46 am by IdahoMatt »

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 04:19:44 pm »
Thanks Donald, if you don't think so then I don't either, just seemed the inners weren't working as much as the outers.  Thanks Chuck.  Thanks IdahoMatt, I think?  I only wear lipstick when I'm hunting because it's good luck/camoflage  >:D

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 01:34:46 pm »
That's a fine bend sir :)
Clatskanie, Oregon