Author Topic: osage acoustic guitar?  (Read 6712 times)

Offline Tyke

osage acoustic guitar?
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:46:48 pm »
I didnt know where to ask i want to make an osage guitar does anyone know where to get 3/16"x26"x24 sheets of osage
why buy it when you can build it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: osage acoustic guitar?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 04:50:57 pm »
Check Grizzly Products. Along with their power tools they sell guitar building materials, wood included. Whether they have osage or not I don't know.
 I'm gonna move this to around the campfire.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 04:56:33 pm »
Do you play guitar?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Loope

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:24:24 pm »
I have never built a guitar, but have read several books about it and have spent many hours looking through luthier supply catalogs with the hope to one day make my own.  I can say that it would not be typical to look for a board of the dimensions you list.  The typical construction for the top and the back is to make them from two pieces of wood with a joint down the middle.  Usually the top is made from a softwood such as spruce and the backs and sides from various hardwoods.

Rather than look for a board 3/16 x 26 x 24, you should instead look for a board more like 1/2 thick x 26 x 12, and then resaw it to form a "book-matched" pair.  The 1/2 inch thick board would be sawn into two pieces 1/4 inch thick, and then "opened" as if it were a book.  The result is two pieces with grain patterns that match almost exactly.  One piece is essentially the mirror image of the other.

I don't know where to get the wood, but finding a good 12 inch wide board will be so much easier than finding a 24 inch wide board.  Guitar woods are very often made from quarter sawn boards, so to get a 24 inch wide quarter sawn osage would require a tree over 4 ft in diameter.

Good luck, I would love to see an osage guitar!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 05:37:20 pm »
I built guitars for about 6 years at Bolin Guitars, in Boise Idaho.  Osage is going to be hard to find in guitar dimensions.  We would buy the wood and resaw, then thickness sand to close dimensions.  Then do the final thickness by hand.  For supplies you can't beat Luthiers Mercantile for acoustics and the Stewart McDonald for electrics.  There are great books on the topic and both companies have kits you can get.  I would recommend starting with a kit.  Then use the wood you covet :).  It would not be fun to ruin a hard to find piece of wood.  You can use the osage for the top you will just get a brighter sound.  Osage outlaw posted some pics of some curly osage a while back that was real neat.   So it's out there somewhere.  You could do a three piece back as well.  That's a good way to use wood that is not quite as wide.  Martin guitars have some models that have the three piece backs.  If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.  I will help any way I can :)

Matt Kulchak

Offline Tyke

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:17:21 pm »
Yes pearls i do and bass i was gonna ask if you might of built you own drums yet

Offline Tyke

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:20:04 pm »
Ive buit several guitars and dable in. Being a luthier

Offline Tyke

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 06:21:42 pm »
I have an old hohner acoustic i wanted to redo the top and back. Its pretty beat up but the neck is staight and the side are fine my buddy just gave it to me
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:26:26 pm by selfsufficient tyke »

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 06:32:36 pm »
Man I would love to own an Osage guitar I play guitar myself, but never built a guitar
I like osage

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 07:00:29 pm »
I have an old hohner acoustic i wanted to redo the top and back. Its pretty beat up but the neck is staight and the side are fine my buddy just gave it to me

Did Hohner actually make these or just put their name on them? I only ask cuz i collect harmonicas and its got me curious, lol.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:30:03 pm »
that would be a pretty guitar for sure.
a friend of mine builds custom guitars for a living, and we've been talking alot lately...
it will be a yew wood electric guitar in the PRS custom 24 style, but we may use a different wood for the neck.
will for sure be posting pics here once its started.
we'd have to have a yew guitar and osage guitar battle, see who the real king is!

Offline Tyke

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 08:11:55 pm »
I have no idea koan

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 08:27:21 pm »
I know someone who made an Osage Mandolin. He was in the process of making a guitar and using Osage in it somehow. I'll see if I can find out how to get ahold of him.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 08:40:20 pm »
No reason you can't make a CBG* with osage! 

*Cigar Box Guitar
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 08:47:03 pm »

No reason you can't make a CBG* with osage! 

damn straight skippy, if you can build a guitar from a shovel you can build one from anything

*Cigar Box Guitar
[/quote]
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹