Author Topic: A new project(more new pics)  (Read 16111 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: A new project
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 10:23:19 am »
If  those tips are reflexed I would go at it as is. That stave will teach you a lot about tillering character staves. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

Re: A new project
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 01:17:57 pm »
Been working on this nasty old elm stave, I reduce its thickness and have been trying ti heat straighten it
after about 8 sessions with the heat gun I have it to this point. Ready to start tillering after it sets for awhile
to gain some moisture back. Tips still don't line up but are alot closer than when I started, it also still has some prop twist
but I think its good enuf at this point. If I get a bow out of it I will be pleased but not to worried as I have already learned
from it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: A new project(new pics)
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 02:06:44 pm »
Looks like you need to line up the tips a little.  Making progress though, thats good. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 02:12:33 pm »
ya their still out of whack but I think I will take her down some more first,
I think a little less wood and it will respond to the heat easier.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 02:33:21 pm »
That is going to make a very cool looking d bow when it's done Dana. Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 02:47:25 pm »
What I really like about building bows is when you get comfortable with one style there is always something new to challege ya ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 02:59:09 pm »
Looks like a fun project Dana.  What you might do is heat areas along the bow to bring it in line instead of concentrating on the crooked areas. Like you said, I'd wait until a little more wood was off and maybe even at a low brace stage if it isn't too out of whack. Anyhoo, it will be fun!!!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 02:00:43 pm »
Well I finally got this cantankerous piece of elm to bend and shoot, it still needs some final tillering
and a few other finishing touches, I will probably cut the nocks off and go with pin nocks, final length will
be  about 59"  55#@26" Learned alot from this stave I tryied to force it into being the bow I saw,
it had a mind of its own and fought me too a nail, but after a little seet talking she came around. ;D
Its far from perfect string don't line up perfectly but it shoots. This is my first elm bow and its tough stuff!
I know I violated grain and theres a couple big dents in the back :o but so far its hoding together, BTW I cranked it back to 29"
just to see what would happen she held up and didn't take any extra set.

The last two pictures are the break wall on lake michigan, yankee will recogonize them.

And ya I know I have to get a bit more bend going in the outer limbs.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:08:59 pm by DanaM »

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A new project(more new pics)
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 03:40:15 pm »
SURFS UP!!! 8)    Dana looks like it is bending too much at the handle. Even though the handle is deflexed a bit more should come from farther out the limbs.     Pat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 03:44:04 pm »
Hey Dana,
just curios as to what type of Elm that is. would that be dutch elm or chinese elm?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 04:09:53 pm »
Sailordad its American elm,
Pat I know, I just tookher down to 58" NTN and ciut pin nocks in and am working on getting
a bit more bend in the mid to outer limbs, This was a crazy ass stave, Its got swirls in the grain, humps and whoopty do's
so I'm happy its still in one piece ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 06:05:24 pm »
Cut her down to 57" NTN 55#@26", did a bit more scraping on the mid to outer limbs.
Might do a little more or just say good enuf.
Mass is 18.5 oz right now a bit heavy using Badgers calculations but seeing as its a character stave
not bad. Perhaps I will narrow the tips and lose another oz ;D

Manistique, MI

Dingleberry

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 06:28:04 pm »
Nice Job Dana, You seemed to have conqured that insolent stave. ;D  The area above your grip looks especially tricky, but the tiller looks pretty good from one of the side views so maybe its allright.  I don't know if I would fool with it anymore either.  Well Done!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 06:50:20 pm »
Forgot to mention the only way this worked is the the top limb is a bit longer
thats what the bow told me anyhow. ;)

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 07:19:04 pm »
Nice work Dana. I dont think Im ready for a stave that ugly :o
     Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark