Author Topic: A new project(more new pics)  (Read 16113 times)

Offline DanaM

A new project(more new pics)
« on: January 07, 2008, 03:33:56 pm »
This is American elm stave I've had drying, had a naural deflex/reflex shape. I had to cut it down down to
61" due to some nasty grain on one end. Not sure where to go with it, should I try to take the bends out?
Use it the way it is? It does have some twist on one limb, I hope I can get out with the heat gun.
I'm not going to worry if I break it as I will still be learning something and this is pushing my comfort zone.
Hoping to get at least 50# @ 26" D style. May even sinew it which also would be a first. Any advice is welcome

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:01:42 pm by DanaM »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: A new project
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 03:45:59 pm »
My advice is to take HIGH RESOLUTION PICTURES.   ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 04:02:15 pm »
I would Justin but I can't upload them and thanks fer the help such useful advice ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline richpierce

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 04:32:15 pm »
I'd get the twist out first, then fix the limb with the double curve until it is a simple deflex/reflex and then adjust things so the total amount of reflex at the tips is the same for both limbs.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »
Which side is the back?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 05:26:14 pm »
Back is to left in first pic and up in second.

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 06:20:16 pm »
Looks like it aught to be interesting :). I like steam now, at least for the big stuff.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 06:38:41 pm »
Thats what I'm thinking Paul this won't be easy and to think I have nice striaght staves to work with ;)
I have that osage from you also, itchin to get to it but figured I woould let it set in the hot box for awile.

Manistique, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 07:56:53 pm »
Wow Dana, I put mine on a form to get it to look like that...I would take care of the twist and tiller away. ;)...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 08:09:25 pm »
Thanks brian I will trade it for a stright one ;) ;D
Its gonna test me but I'm in no hurry I have a worse one in the corner of shame
that I dig out every now and then. Keeps me humble ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 11:18:49 pm »
Good luck on that one, I suppose theres not much a heat gun can't correct. One of these days I'm gonna try elm, don't have much on my land that I know of, mostly oak, maple, and ash. One of these years I'm gonna zig zag my way through the 80 acres and make note of where decent hardwood other than the above are located, such as hornbeam ect.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 11:24:44 pm »
Dana, I would floor tiller it as is and then put it on a reflex form to even out the reflexed part of the limbs with a heat gun. The more you get the stave bending before heat corrections the better it will bend, and take hold evenly.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 06:21:25 am »
What Ryan said,I have worked a lot of Osage like that but not elm,so ant sure how it
reacts.I would think it should be doable tho. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 07:00:47 am »
Thanks guys, yea I want to do some more thinning and get the profile done, then get the twist after that.
Perhaps by then I will have a better notion of where to go.
VB there very few elm trees left anywhere in the UP, I cut this one at my in laws place in Delta county
they seem to be making a comeback over that way.

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 10:16:44 am »
I'd be careful with that osage Dana - I just cut it this past summer so it's not all the cured out yet. If ya dry em too fast they'll check on ya - just a heads up :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.