Author Topic: question on backing  (Read 2504 times)

Offline OffTiller

question on backing
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:07:17 pm »
Hey guys, i am starting on a hickory backed black walnut flat bow. I have a thin strip of hickory from last bow but it varies in thickness. If i hand plane it even, how perfect does the thickness need to be, and do i need to worry about anything lifting if i use a hand planer. and what can i use to smooth the backing to keep anything from lifting.
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question on backing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »
Sanding might be easier if you have a belt sander. If you have to plane it be sure you go with the grain.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »
thanks, and obviously use the sanded side for the glue up?
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:20:05 pm »
As long as the backing is quarter sawn or rift sawn, you can sand or plane it even after you've glued it to the walnut. A thin and flexible strip is difficult to reduce by hand. Just make sure you have one flat surface so you can glue it to the belly wood.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:23:11 pm »
makes sense, I was thinking 1/8" thickness. should i also trap the backing if using BW? and if so how do i do that with BW?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:29:09 pm »
You'll want to trap it after glue up too. Then, trap it from back to belly with the belly being wider. You can probably bring each side of each limb in 1/8" or slightly more on the back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:30:44 pm »
great, that gives me a great place to start. really grateful to both of you.

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 02:25:16 pm »
so i took the clamps off my boards today and on one side of the bow past a fade the glue has shrunk and caused a gap on edge of the boards. to get a better idea, lets say it's the top limb on the right side (as an example) my goal was to do an ALB but if i cant figure out how to fix the gap, i feel i might have to cut this into a pyramid bow and hope the gap doesn't run to the middle of my glue up. any suggestions? thanks.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 02:41:49 pm »
Heat it up, take the backer off, clean it up and reglue, get some bike innertubes and wrap vs,.clamp
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 03:44:26 pm »
2x

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 05:16:27 pm »
so obviously TB3 shrinks as it dries. would another glue be better for backing with woods?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 05:27:38 pm »
No.
Nothing wrong with titebond 3.
It has just been improperly clamped by you. You need at least 30 clamps to make them work, but a much better technique is to use bike inner tubes as elastic bands.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 05:34:57 pm »
so just cut em' to length and use a square knot? since tighbond need air maybe wrap around every 4-6 inches. would that be enough

Offline John D

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 05:43:53 pm »
Your glue up needs even distribution of clamping force more than big gaps for air.  Little gaps between the wraps of bike tubes is enough.  Do a search for bike tube and see how some of the other guys use em.  If I was gluing on a backing that was 1/8" thick, I would leave gaps no bigger than 1/4" in my bike tube wraps.  Hope that helps.  Leave em long and tuck the end and start another.  In my opinion, air will get in there. 

John D.

Boise

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 05:58:39 pm »
i have seen those set ups before, just didn't stick and now i'm kicking myself for it, i'm gonna give it another go. thanks.