Author Topic: Lightnin struck white oak suggestions  (Read 4154 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Lightnin struck white oak suggestions
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:28:12 pm »
Brother Auggie and I was sittin on the porch during a bad storm a few yrs ago and got to watch a white oak get struck by lightning. Well ofcourse the next day we had to go across my lake and collect what we could, lol... Ended up with 4 staves from about a 6-8" section. They are bout 65" long as i recall and at most 1 1/2" wide.. This wood is harder than a brick bat wich leads me to believe some of the old lore bout lightning struck trees for bow wood.... Has anyone here biult bows from lightning struck wood and if so any good advise to go with your experiance? These were the 1st staves gathered on my property so their kinda special to me. I gave one to Patb at the Classic this yr wich leaves one for me, one for Auggie, and one for my son.... Im thinkin bout a 62" x 1 1/8" bendy for mine but open to suggestion... Thanks for any input.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lightnin struck white oak suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 12:57:51 pm »
Brian, an Eastern Woodland style would be appropriate for lightening struck white oak but I guess a Missouri style would too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:01:20 pm »
Pat, i dont have any books to research those, lol... Ima hafta Google i spose  ;D... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:08:38 pm »
1 1/2" wide with a straight taper to 3/4" tips with side nocks. Leave the handle a little thick and narrow it a bit fir comfort.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 01:12:55 pm »
If you have any small pieces of that wood leftover, just little 1" to 2" chips or what-not, I can make you a trade for them.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:24:40 pm »
sounds like a nice bow in there,,

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 01:34:56 pm »
Im hoping Brad, it seems more dense then usual. Dharma i will do my best to save ya some. Im gonna save a couple myself for knife scales  ;)... Brian

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:46:20 pm »
Wood like this would have been seen as having supernatural power from the lightning by most native American tribes. A tree of hardwood that was struck by lightning then turned into a bow would be a special bow for sure.
E
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:15:39 am by IndianGuy »

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 04:58:50 pm »
I had a Hackberry tree struck by lightening about 6 years back.
The next day I cut it down and started roughing out staves, only to find, tiny fractures all throughout the wood,
"and by throughout the wood I mean in every growth ring layer"
The tiny fractures looked like checks from natural drying.
I proceeded as normal to attempt to make bows from this wood.
Once the bows were floor tillered and on the tiller tree, you could hear dozens of little ticks when the limbs flexed.
The tiny fractures continued to run the length of the limbs and split each time the bow limbs were flexed.
I was VERY disappointed, as you could imagine.
Seems that the lightening either
A. Instantly sucked all the moisture out of the wood, and caused the fractures, or
B. It Superheated the moisture and caused the wood grains to expand and crack due to internal pressures.
Maybe lightening has different effects on different woods, maybe it's the amount of voltage applied to the wood.
Too many unknown variables
I have made many bows from many other Hackberry trees since, and have never seen the tiny fractures in any of them.
I hope this is not the case for the wood you have, But I would check it closely for tiny fractures.
Good luck and I hope things turn out well for you.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 05:37:31 pm »
I have heard of that before Junkie... I see no signs of it in these staves so far...fingers crossed, lol.... Brian

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 06:08:28 pm »
Don't fool with lightning killed wood! I had a big cherry log slabbed off for gunstock blanks, I wet the slabs down to keep them from checking. The next day I rolled the slabs over and found the water had run through the slabs via a zillion tiny fractures. The wood was useless.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 07:13:16 pm »
If I remember my physics the temperature of a lightning bolt is a couple of thousand degrees and causes all the moisture in the tree to vapourise making the tree explode. That's why you shouldn't stand under trees in a storm, and I suspect would have some large effect on the cell structure of the wood?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 07:28:24 pm »
This dont sound to promising, lol. If i remember right i think this was a large limb from the tree but honestly...there were a few adult beverages involved during the collection of this stuff so its abit fuzzy, lol.... Brian

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 07:44:35 pm »
If the wood is full of holes, it would be neat to see if you could pressure treat epoxy into all the pores. You could have a wood fiber epoxy infused bow.... unbreakable.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 08:01:47 pm »
I say carve them up and see what happens. ;D
What's the worse  that can happen, gain some knowledge ?
Johnny
in Texas