Author Topic: Glue choices for leather grip  (Read 11654 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Glue choices for leather grip
« on: August 22, 2014, 04:27:53 pm »
I have finished the bow with polyurathane and normally I would cut out the leather, wet it, stretch it, and sew it on.  I would then use a little toothpick to lift up the edges and squirt a little dab of superglue here and there to make it stay good and tight, along with counting on the shrinking of the leather to do the job.

However, I am doing something a little different where the arrow pass leather padding is integral to the leather of the grip and I do not want the leather to get crusty hard, like what happens with superglue. 

What do you recommend???  I was thinking barge cement since that was often used with leatherwork. The arrow pass is my main concern since it is out there with nothing to stitch it to.  Your thoughts?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Glue choices for leather grip
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:32:16 pm »
I quit gluing them JW.  I stitch them up tight and haven't had a problem with them moving.  When I glued them in place I did the same as you with the superglue.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:37:02 pm »
With the wetting and stretching, I don't see this grip moving either, but that tab of leather extending up the grip from the grip area is unsupported and needs to be glued down. 

This is a very different style of leather wrap brought on by a very different style of grip than I am used to doing.  Frustrating, but it's opening my head up for new ideas and that has to be good, right?

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 04:55:01 pm »
Torges recommends contact cement (which Barge cement is) for handle wrapping that is form fitting and non hardening.
 Once you stick down the initial edge you can really haul on the rest to pull it all down snug.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 05:02:25 pm »
I agree with Pat M, contact cement. Barge is one brand and Weldwood makes it also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 05:29:04 pm »
I think a little titebond works well. Stays wet long enough to move around and stitch unlike contact cement. Like I said just a little. Don't want it coming out lacing holes. Most time I stitch and dab super glue like others said

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 05:51:34 pm »
I've used normal white wood glue to secure leather handles onto a bow. It doesn't dry as hard as superglue. I'm sure contact cement will work beautifully as well, but I have wood glue at hand for sealing the ends of staves, and I would have to go out and buy contact cement. So I use what I have at hand :)
I sometimes mix the glue with a little drop of water and put it into a syringe. I use a fat and long hypodermic needle to literally inject the glue underneath a leather handle that is already installed.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 06:03:07 pm »
I've done a bunch with titebond with good results. My favorite is barge cement though. I think it just works better. Especially at the arrow pass and forming the contours of my pistol grips.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 07:34:17 pm »
I use a dab of Loc Tite super glue on all the hot spots. Once in a blue moon one will come free a bit, I just tack it back down. I tried a few other ways as mentioned and just made a big flippin' mess, all on my own. Hate gripping........
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 08:26:14 pm »
I also wet them, stretch them, and stitch them...you can use a glue stick or cheap rubber cement too...even on the wet leather.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:48 pm »
Barge if I have to glue leather. Never had any issues lacing up just a grip.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 08:58:56 pm »
High strength double stick tape.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 09:05:50 pm »
High strength double stick tape.

That's one I had never considered.  That might be the ticket for that loose floppy arrow pass leather above the handle. 

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:22:17 pm »
I always use Barge cement for grips and rest.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 04:37:30 am »
I've always used Barge Cement, but like the double sided tape idea. Just wondering how it would stand up the vigors of the pass? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.