Author Topic: Painting your bows  (Read 5947 times)

Offline usmcsgt

• David Hopwood
Painting your bows
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:57:18 pm »
 Hey everyone.  I have been searching and have not had much luck. I am looking for information on painting bows. I tried using earth pigments and liquid hide glue and it came out looking like crap.
  I should mention that I did this over a finish (tung oil).
I have seen plenty of pictures of some real fine work. I know about people using leather dye and others. But, I would like to know what people use to paint their bows (especially with earth pigments).

I'm not doing any kind of exquisite work. If fact it is very basic. I also have a similar issue with my arrows. Maybe I need to thin out my hide glue.

But, I would like to see what works for you guys. It doesn't have to be what I have in mind but, more of what works for you. So in other words, it doesn't have to be with hide glue or earth pigments.

I have been tempted to try mixing tru oil and pigments for applying some basic designs.

Thank you!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Painting your bows
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:03:09 pm »
I just use acrylic craft paint. It goes over Tru-Oil well and Tru-Oil covers it well. I thin you can buy a white acrylic base that you can add color pigments to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline usmcsgt

• David Hopwood
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:37:26 pm »
Hey Pat! Thank you! I will give that a shot.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:36:18 pm »
I have had good luck with these.  Find them at the big "mart" stores and craft stores.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:50:10 pm »
Same as Pat. Cheap acrylic from wally world. Works good.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:00:59 pm »
If you want natural with good color try Tempera paint, or Egg Tempera. You can mix it with hide glue or just like it is.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 09:31:07 am »
Im no artist but experimented with earth pigments on a flatbow and I did the paint work onto the wood directly before any finish was added.  I mixed the earth pigments with danish oil and this acted as the agent to stick the pigment to my bow whille forming a barrier against moisture.  Worked for me, I still have the same bow and I top up the finish with nothing more than olive oil and it provides a good finish against the rain and does not affect the artwork on the bow.

Dean

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:44:21 am »
i've mixed ground up chalk with hide glue. I've also mixed ground up charcoal with hide glue.
The problem is it is not waterproof.

I've also used flowers like marigolds for a stain but it does not last. Besides, the woodchucks (groundhogs) really like my marigolds this year.

There are natural fixatives for some of these stains but I have not been able to find a suitable one.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:09:33 am »
I think you can use egg whites to carry the pigments and James Parker uses prickly pear cactus juice as a carrier for pigments on some of his Asiatic horn bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline usmcsgt

• David Hopwood
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 01:56:51 pm »
 I have seen a few guys use art pens to do some fine work on their bows. I will keep that in mind. What I plan to do is very simplistic.

Mixing with oil is one of the things that I wanted to try with earth pigments for a different affect.

If I still lived in California I would try the cactus juice. I will have to try the egg whites.

Tempura and eggs whites? Do you mean tempura mix? One of the issues that I have had with hide glue is that is doesn't go down to evenly and tends to be too thick. Even on my arrows you can feel where the cresting is.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 03:06:43 pm »
No tempura unless you plan to deep fry.  ;D  Tempera is an old type of paint that is made with eggs.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 04:49:40 pm »
I have tried hide glue with good results except with charcoal pigment, wich seems to somehow hinder the glue from hardening. It still will, but much slower. One probelm I had was that these paints clogged up my brush. I soon used a wood shaving instead with better results.

But since the glue is a watery solution, you cannot really paint over oiled surfaces.

I have also tried egg white. Not bad results, but the stuff tends to lump, and it pulls into strings instead of a little bit remainig on your brush. A bit of cream will solve that, but extend the drying time

I have also used curd (take the low fat variant). This stuff is brillant, but it tends to have a white colour by itself turning all colors into pastel. Works pretty well with charcoal.

All of these are not waterproof. If you want a waterproof primitive paint, there is no way around adding resin. Since resin does not solve in water, it is a bit complicated.

I have used powdered limonite, mixed with curd, linseed oil and pine resin about 20:1:2, and got a nice, easy to apply yellow paint that was as good as waterproof (though it was still possible to rub it off). The resin was heated and mixed with the oil first.

Last week, I have experimented with clay that contains iron and powdered oak bark, and I'm quite confident this will make a good black ink. I'm not quite happy with the clay as a source of iron, though (now that I write this I realise I should try the limonite)

Also, there's all kinds of coloured juices and saps. They come in reddish tones mostly, like berries, but will turn brown eventually.
Don't shoot!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:57:20 pm »
oil paint,, is linseed oil mixed with ground pigment,, I am sure you could mix pigment with linseed and have a nice result,,, it will take a while to dry,, but can be sealed with something waterproof if need,,  oil paint can be used as well,, and is very versatile ,,, thin washes or glazes  to look more organic... or thicker for vibrant color,,

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 03:32:12 am »
I have used acrylic and india ink with good succes on rawhide backings.
Frank from Germany...

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 08:35:17 am »
I think Greg(badly bent) uses a sharpie. He got the bow of 48 assorted colors on sale at k-mart.  ;D ;D ;D
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.