Author Topic: Bottom of the barrel  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Bottom of the barrel
« on: August 19, 2014, 02:29:28 pm »
Lately I've been scraping the bottle of the barrel for any energy/time to get into the shop. I have thing I need to get done but I'm still chasing my hunting bow. Everything either comes in under weight or goes boom. I'm outta seasoned wood, so the lam thing is where I'm at now. Just getting frustrated I guess. Anyone else ever feel like hanging it up for awhile. I love making bows but with how this have been going it's depressing.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bottom of the barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:36:07 pm »
Sometimes a little vacation from bow building will give you a second wind and a clear mind.
 This has been one of my worse years(in over 25) for bow building. It took me 4 tries to get my TradGang trade bow built.
 Give yourself a break. It will all be there when you decide it time to get back to it. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:07:08 pm »
If it becomes a chore then don't do it.  I went through a series of breaking bows last spring then after that I took a break and I made my best bow yet.  You're learning from those broken and underweight bows.  Just go nice and slow when you're tillering and if you don't feel like it then put it away and get back to it later.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:02:31 pm »
I have to make a bow for hunting season. I think that's my problem. Just gotta do my thing and hope I get one to work out. Thabks guys. Least I'm not the only one that feels it sometime

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 06:06:50 pm »
I have been going thru a brief time of not really making much....about three years!  But I have been showing others how to do it instead.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 06:49:32 pm »
just keep it simple, 66" maple board bow, pyramid profile with an even belly taper, you can build this bow
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wildman

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:11:44 pm »
I build in fits and starts, might build 3 in a month, and may be three months before I another. I get in a groove then a rut!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:25:05 pm »
I have been shooting a bow for about 60 years.
 I have been a wood worker about as long. Carpenter by trade
I don't yet feel qualified to build a bow. Let your Bliss guide you.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 10:13:15 pm »
I find this time of year to be hard for bow-making. Summer brings so many other fun things to do that bow making gets put to the wayside. Come January though, I'll be snowed in and all of the sudden that workshop is going to look awfully cozy.

Remember this is a hobby that we do for fun. If you're not having fun, maybe its time to set it aside for a while and come back to it fresh. Forcing it will never bring out your best work.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 11:59:14 pm »
Nah I'm having fun still, just sometimes it's frustrating. I've had a rough day all around. Don't mind me. I'll be in the shop tonight. Messing up my next project. Thanks guys.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 12:22:14 am »
If you feel frustrated, walk away! Be sure your mind is on bow building or go back upstairs and do something else. This is one of the hardest things to learn and I know from experience.  ;)   You are feeling rushed to get a bow built and shot in before hunting season. Give yourself a few days off of the building process. Concentrate of the stave you plan to use. Study that stave until you can visualize the bow inside then you should be ready to make it happen.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 02:10:17 am »
I'm just doing all these glue ups cuz I really wanna make a lam bow for hunting season. In just getting a little ahead of myself I think. I still don't understand how a very reflexed tip should look when drawn. Lol I busted out a sliver of an osage stave, sapwood and all and started making a stick. I still love making bows. Just not ones for me to hunt with apparently. Lol. Back to messing around. Seriousness is on the back burner. Someday I'll make me a sweet little lam bow.

Also I'm not expecting much outta this osage with the sapwood but it was going in the burn pile. Figured why not. Get back to hacking and slashing opposed to belt sanding and glue and waiting

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 02:14:05 am »
Forgot pix. Bark was peeled. That's it. It all had these big butt crack wind checks. It was about 5/8" thick at its thinnest. So not too much heart wood. So well see what happens.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 07:23:09 am »
I sometimes get tired of it myself,usually only last a few days tho. ;) :) I don't build near as many as I use to,involved in a lot but not building myself.  :) One thing I have found is when I feel like I have to build one it isn't near as much fun as when I just want to build one. When I have to seems everything that can go wrong does. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:05:49 am »
I don't understand something, why can't you hunt with a selfbow?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹