Author Topic: Ipe and bloodwood dimension suggestions.  (Read 1917 times)

Offline autologus

Ipe and bloodwood dimension suggestions.
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »
I got a nice 6'x 5.5" 4/4 plank of straight grained 1/4 sawn ipe and a nice 7'x5.5" plank of straight grained 1/4 sawn bloodwood today, I also have several hickory backing strips and was looking for some suggestions on an ELB at about 50#..

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Ipe and bloodwood dimension suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:56:25 pm »
This sounds like a REALLY FUN project!  Never built one myself - so, I would not presume to suggest what dimensions you'll need to use.  I'm guessing you are thinking of making the Bloodwood the core with an Ipe belly and a Hickory back.  I saw an Ipe belly with a Hickory back long bow at MOJAM this summer that was an exceptionally thin long and narrow ELB styled bow and it had a 50-ish pound draw weight if memory serves.

What are you thinking to use as the adhesive for your glue-up?  I hear the Ipe is fairly picky on that issue...

OneBow

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 04:36:21 pm »
I am just researching right now, I do not really want to do a tri-lam just hickory backed Ipe and Hickory backed Bloodwood.  As far as glue, I am researching that as well, I want to have a good plan going into it so I can learn from others mistakes and not make my own hopefully.

Grady

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:59:07 pm »
    I know some successful bows have been made with bloodwood but I wouldn't waste my time on it unless you just feel like experimenting. One of the worst bow woods I have ever worked with.

Offline autologus

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:37:04 pm »
I will probably give it a whirl the board is extremely straight grained quarter sawn.

Grady

Offline KS51

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 07:22:33 pm »
I'm trying my first one now.  It is drawing 40#@26" with 4" to go.  It would probably be right around 47#@28" if I drew it that far.  Mine is boo backed bloodwood and is 66"ntn 7" stiff handle, 1-3/16" @ fades for 2" then taper to 7/16" nocks.  It is (right now) 0.620 thick just out of the fades and 0.480 at the stiff tips (about 3").  I think it will thin up another .030 when I get it to 30".

Badger, didn't you post a picture of a bloodwood bow exploding at about 3/4 draw.  (a few years ago on PP)?

Ken

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 08:11:04 pm »
  I don't remember Ken, I had a stack of bloodwood and they all blew up.