Author Topic: HBI - Finished  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: HBI Advice - In Progress
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 11:39:18 pm »
Just tiller it like you would tiller any other bow. Get the limbs bending a bit more before you try a low brace. The right limb has a slight hinge about 10" out from the fade so be careful there. If you find the limbs are getting too thin you can reduce the width to reduce weight with little tiller change if any.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blob

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 09:16:29 pm »
I think that the hinge is an illusion of the background but I may be wrong.  Here is a view with the limbs reversed.

Oh the hazards of posting pictures at work...lol  Should be better now.

Offline Blob

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 10:26:29 pm »
Currently 55@20"  gettin closer!

Disclaimer - the cardboard is crooked

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: HBI - In Progress
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 12:48:31 am »
That looks pretty doggone good, I think you may need just a tad bit more bend in the inner third of the right limb
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Blob

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 11:04:14 am »
I have ran into a couple snags...the handle keeps popping off.  It has happened twice now.  The first time it was glued with TBIII, and the second was with Gorilla 5min Epoxy (it was the only epoxy that I had on hand).  My question is...Should I try one more time with a better epoxy, or should I attempt to make it a bendy handle, or try a different wood for a handle?  I suspect that my handle section is too short which is causing the problem.  Both times I thoroughly degreased both the ipe and the rosewood. 

Here is a photo of what I am working with.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 01:19:20 pm »
Hm, that's a pity. Apparantly you didn't leave enough thickness in the ipé itself to make it a stiff handle without the rosewood. Although the ipé does have additional thickness in the handle compared to the limbs, it's not enough. The clean ipé and rosewood also indicate a bad glue application or improper surface preparation. Both woods are notiously difficult to glue, so it makes sense.
I'd say you need to rough up the ipé surface with 60 grit sandpaper. Then wipe down with acetone to degrease. Instead of using one block of rosewood for the handle, glue down several thin laminations of about 1/8" thick. Also rough up the rosewood and degrease it as well. Then continue with the titebond 3 for the glue up. That is plenty strong enough.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Blob

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 04:34:58 pm »
So IF I decided to keep this as a bendy handle, should I thin the current handle area to match the limbs or should I keep it as is.

Also, would I still be able to shape the handle the way that I was planning?  Mild bulbous style similar to the osage one in this post: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31390.msg415541.html#msg415541  Or would I need to leave it full width all the way through?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 04:43:17 pm »
U can build it up with cork, shape the cork and finish to your liking. It'll be the bulbua handle but still bend
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 08:54:27 pm »
"I'd say you need to rough up the ipé surface with 60 grit sandpaper. Then wipe down with acetone to degrease. Instead of using one block of rosewood for the handle, glue down several thin laminations of about 1/8" thick. Also rough up the rosewood and degrease it as well. Then continue with the titebond 3 for the glue up. That is plenty strong enough."

+1

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Blob

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:17 pm »
Thanks for all the reply's guys.  I have decided that I'm going to cork it up for now.  If that doesn't work for some reason I'll try again with the rosewood. 

The tiller still needs just a bit of work on the upper limb in the photo.  I did throw a couple test arrows when the pic was taken.  It feels great, ZERO hand shock, and super quiet.

Offline Blob

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 11:17:33 pm »
It's all finished.  55# @ 26".

and I realized that I didn't get any pics of the laminated cork handle...lol

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Re: HBI - Finished
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 11:30:13 pm »
Very nice looking bow.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline bow101

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 11:35:53 pm »
Looking good Blob.  :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 07:11:04 am »
Good looking bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 10:09:16 am »
That one looks like a shooter.