Author Topic: Allergic reaction to Osage dust....  (Read 5304 times)

Offline billy

Allergic reaction to Osage dust....
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:54:49 pm »
Hey guys, not sure if any of you have ever experienced an allergic reaction to Osage dust as I have, but I thought I'd see if anyone has experienced anything similar.  Several years ago while cutting up some big Osage staves in a band saw, I realized I would break out in a very itchy rash.  I started having to wear long sleeve shirts and pants, otherwise I'd have a reaction.  It would mainly occur on soft, sensitive skin areas like around my belt line and the inner elbows where your bicep and forearm meet.  It would get red and would itch like poison ivy, sometimes for 2-3 weeks, depending on the amount of exposure.  Then it eventually went away.  It didn't happen nearly as much when rasping wood by hand.  It was the very fine, powder-like dust that the bandsaw created that would cause the reaction.  It's very ironic that a bowmaker like myself who loves Osage would end up allergic to it.  Anyone else ever experience this with Osage?   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline thomas74p

Re: Allergic reaction to Osage dust....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:05:17 pm »
too much dust from my bow in my nose made my sinuses go crazy. but thats about all it did. you sure it didn't have some poison ivy on it at one point and maybe still had the oils in the wood. if thats even possible IDK. just my best guess.

Offline CustomArcher15

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:09:25 pm »
I get allergies worse since I started making bows and I usually use osage so IDK where that's coming from but I have got bad rashes when working with ERC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 05:10:28 pm »
Billy I don't react adversely from osage dust but lots of folks do and it seems more and more are becoming more sensitive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 05:53:04 pm »
Try taking an antihistamine before working the wood.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:00:41 pm »
i cough and sneeze a bit,,,and  try to work outside with the fresh air,,,but it does bother me a bit

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 11:31:10 pm »
Bandsaws create a ton of dust.You need proper dust extraction, preferably 2 ports on a bandsaw, one under the blade and one in the lower wheel housing. If you have an indoor workshop add a  clean air filter.
Keep using your long sleeves and add a quality dust mask(not the white nuisance  dust ones). Barrier cream for your skin is another option too.

Most of my problems have been with breathing it in or eyes rather than skin. Wood dust rather than specific allergy to a certain timber, like osage or yew. All wood dust is dangerous even if your not allergic.
Hamish

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 07:34:27 am »
No problems yet. ;) :) :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 12:21:19 pm »
You can buy a good throw away dust mask. Just look for ones that are rated well, and make sure you are using them right.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 05:57:56 pm »
The dust don't bother me but the Sap will make red spots on my skin.
Not as bad as Poison Ivy but still a bit itchy.

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline randman

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 12:44:35 am »
I've recently realized or developed an allergic sinus stuffing reaction (for days) to cyanoacrylate (super glue). At first I thought it was some yew I was working with but I have narrowed it down to the glue not only the vapors but the dust from sanding and grinding. I'm having to be more careful now...
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 06:08:47 am »
Billy. most woods are toxic to some extent. I've read the sap from osage is the worst part. Over time/exposure a person's immune system also breaks down, same with poison ivy and other noxious foreign substances. My sinuses kill me when I'm working with hackberry.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:34:22 pm by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline billy

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 10:35:48 am »
Thanks guys for the responses.  When I was cutting Osage with my bandsaw it was always outside.  After a few reactions I was able to pinpoint the problem and where it was coming from.  I then used a fan to blow the dust away, I would wear long sleeves and pants, and I'd even wear an old Israeli gas mask that I got at a military surplus store just for additional lung and sinus protection.  It kept the dust outta my lungs and the long clothing kept the dust off my skin.  But I agree, we shouldn't be breathing wood dust...or any dust for that matter.  I always try to prevent inhaling dust of any kind.  The Osage dust never did affect my lungs or sinuses, but I didn't want to tempt fate and think I'm invincible and ignore precautionary measures.  I know better than that.  Anyway, just wanted to get some feedback on any itchy skin reactions to the dust, and it seems at least RidgeRunner has had similar reactions to it.     
Marietta, Georgia

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 09:56:24 am »
Working Osage gives me a headache. Not a sinus headache - it feels more like the beginning of a migraine.

Patrick

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 09:35:41 am »
I've developed sinus allergies to it but nothing with my skin.  However, Ipe does make me itchy.
1’—>1’