Author Topic: Here goes Round 9  (Read 5190 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Here goes Round 9
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 01:37:56 pm »
most staves do have some dogleg or grain that is not straight,, you can not just draw a bow on it and cut it out,, even as you go the grain my reveal something specially challenging for you,, you have to use your eye all the time,,,that being said,, a straight grain board ,, would be a nice start,, they shoot good and will give you the confidence to work a more expensive stave,, usually when I suggest this,, then the person says he wants a center cut deep handle etc etc etc,,,, no you want to make a bow that shoots,,, you can make all you bows you want as your experience grows,, just keep it simple and make a shooter,, and go from there,,, Jawge can suggest some basic designs that have a high success rate,,, I know you can do it this time,,, :)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 02:40:36 pm »
Thanks brad... I've built 3-4 red oak boards and have been successful with them. As far as primitive bows go I like the addition of a rest and never cut into the bow. I do the same with my BBO bows as well. I may just have to take a little more time, post more pictures before I go removing wood.

Could you all chime in as far as dimensions for a bow. Say 66 to 68 inches ttt

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 02:59:18 pm »
something bout 1 1/4 at mid limb ,, tapering at the tips,, either bend handle or narrow deep handle with fades   ,, what ever you like,,, just take your time,, there are alot of great designs,, I prefer simple,, this would be osage,,, little wider on a white wood,,, the main thing on a stave is to keep the taper even,, even when it roller coasters a bit you have to follow that,,,
you cant just make the belly flat,, you will have weak and strong spots that ruin your tiller,,,and break the bow,,

Offline CustomArcher15

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 05:06:41 pm »
Hickory and hackberry and other cheaper reliable woods would be a good starter. I wouldn't go osage until 3 or 4 bows in to building bows and only if they are cheap and pretty clean. That's how I started And it worked for me really good. Osage is very good but I think for the beginner the cheaper woods that can take a lot of abuse and you can have a bow survive even if it's not perfect. And when you feel your tillering is pretty good move to the better woods that make better bows. Jmho

Offline 4dog

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 07:33:22 pm »
sorry everyone i guess im spoiled and forget osage doesnt just grow on trees everywhere   >:D
"SET" is always there !!!