Author Topic: halfeye's going back to carving, painting done now, a little finish work left  (Read 43514 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: halfeye's going back to carving, but still checkin in (lots of pics)
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2014, 10:15:47 pm »
Rich,
           When I first seen this project in the beginning I never dreamed their was this much work involved in wooden carving until I seen each step you've posted and the many hours you've spent in the making of your art piece... Enjoying each step Sir and can't wait to see the final outcome...Excellent work and detail

Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2014, 08:24:49 am »
I'm with Don, I had no idea how involved wood carving was, very impressed with the process and attention to detail.
Looking great Rich. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2014, 09:37:32 am »
Thank you fellas, it is a long process. Like eating the proverbial elephant....one bite at a time. I'm not up to the standard I used to be, and every night I get to pay the piper for the hand work, and one eye doesn't help with the depth perception much. I'm really glad to know though, it looks like the work is up to acceptable standards, we will see when it's done.

Again thank you for the nice comments
rich

Stringman

« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2014, 10:23:08 am »
Don, this piece is really coming together! I'm enjoying watchin your process and progress.

Offline half eye

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2014, 09:35:10 pm »
Today was work on the rocks day. Basically it involves priming the wooden rocks, when that's dry I add glue or thickened paint and then sawdust.....this mixture starts to develop a granular texture. Repeat until you are satisfied with the results. So here are the pictures.

I have not decided what to do with the area between the rocks. maybe smaller rock pile, or sandy-mud, or some moss. Needs to dry till tomorrow so I can sand it and make sure it's ready to paint.
rich

forgot to say the shorter rock is going to have a mossy, lichen surface on part of it.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2014, 04:27:39 pm »
Rich your work is exceptional as always.......awesome stuff.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline half eye

« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2014, 07:45:18 pm »
Was stuck today waiting on the Gesso I ordered, so I detailed the feet and found a job thats as bad as fish scales....but did get them done. Hopefully tomorrow will see that Gesso so the feet and fish can get their paint jobs.

In some of the feet photos you can see that the rocks have their texture and ground coloring. Still deciding on what kind of rocks. I included some rock pics so ya can see what some of our rock looks like here....there is a lot of iron oxides in local rock so I'm debating to do these like in rock pic one.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2014, 07:54:36 pm »
Got to the rocks today. Decided on a sort of granite look for the eagle perch, and a bluish type for the smaller one. Notice the lichens on the blue rock....they are modeled after the ones in the last photo which was supplied by JWHalverson. I am not happy with the middle portion so it's going to get what looks like a pile of smaller (fist sized) stones.
rich

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2014, 08:26:58 pm »
Look'in real cool Rich....Keep them coming... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2014, 03:32:58 pm »
If that gets much more realistic, you're gonna have to leave the door open so it can fly off!  Nice.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline half eye

« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2014, 05:24:32 pm »
Fellas, managed to get the feet and pike painted, but not finished. By that I mean the feet need to have 2 coats of matt clear finish, and the fish needs to have the eyes cleaned and a heavy clear coat so it looks wet and the under colors come out. But you can get a rough idea.

The feet are painted with brushes and acrylics and washes, the fish are painted with lacquer and an air brush. The thin lacquer allows the fish to change colors as you walk around it.

So her's the pics, see what ya think....by the way the fish needs to be coated and then permanently mounted then the feet can be mounted and the talons finally installed. Also the "bite needs to be painted prior to the clear coat.....but it's gettin there.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »
Up until now I have been enjoying this....but now I feel bad for the poor little snot rocket pike!  Waaaaah!   :'(

DON'T STOP POSTING!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 06:33:10 am »
All I can say, is wow ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2014, 08:58:30 am »
That is amazing, Rich! Keep em coming!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PatM

« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2014, 11:30:16 pm »
It's like Michelangelo ran out of marble.