Author Topic: halfeye's going back to carving, painting done now, a little finish work left  (Read 43505 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: halfeye's going back to carving, but still checkin in (lots of pics)
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2014, 06:06:12 am »
Not intrusive at all Rich, I'm enjoying watching this national symbol take life...Don't stop now, stay the coarse Sir.
                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2014, 02:58:39 pm »
Keep it coming, Rich. This is great.
 Is that a check in the eagles beak?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2014, 05:19:58 pm »
Pat, there are no checks, I think you might be seeing the line that seperates where the Ceres process meets the bill proper. I took some close up shots so you can get a better view, the first 2 are plain close up, the 3 rd is a pic of an actual eagle skull casting and the last is the other side of the bill area w/o carving.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »
Fellas, today was dry fit day....meaning I needed to figure some angle's and install 2  3/8" steel rods and make sure it all lines up, and then I will make the wooden fore-legs and feet. Here is a quick couple of pics to give you a rough idea of how it all goes together.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2014, 02:05:02 pm »
At this point, Rich, if you STOP posting pics, there will be a full scale riot.

If you lived closer, I would give you full access to all the live birds at the Black Hills Raptor Center as well as the artifacts (wings, feet, skulls, feathers, etc).  We've had several carvers use our birds for models in the past, but none so skilled as you. 

Are you going to finish with painting or woodburning in details? Or just bare wood?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline half eye

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2014, 03:45:24 pm »
JW...it's gonna get the "whole nine yards" texturing, burning, painting for the bird, carved scales, soft fin rays, jaw and head pores for the pike, and the "rocks" get textured and painted so that everything looks as "real" as I can make.
rich

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2014, 02:49:57 pm »
Looking great Rich.  I'm with j dub.  Keep em coming

Offline half eye

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2014, 08:29:26 pm »
Today's festivities included rough shaping the feet (which require being fit to the "rock", fish, and bird which is something I always look forward too. It is an excersize in fitting the feet after they are shaped, then fitting the bird by hollowing out the leg feathers, more work on the feet, refit the body ......ad-nauseum. Once it's all pretty well set, I needed to make the talons (each toe is different). This get's us to the point of needing to "finish carve the feet" and final layout for the leg feathers.

Two sets of pics, and again any ? please advise.  A VERY BIG thank you to JW Halverson for saving me from having to do this all over again. My foot pattern is by a nationaly known artist and the feet looked wrong to me.....so I called in the cavalry (JW) so I now have ACCURATE examples of Eagle feet if I had followed the pattern they would have been all wrong.....THANK YOU JW !!!!!
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2014, 08:30:46 pm »
second set of pics

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2014, 11:16:11 pm »
Just opened up this thread and WOW.  Great build along Rich, I'll be checking in on this one daily now.  Looks like your really moving along too, gonna be beautiful. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2014, 12:34:55 am »
I for one will not be "building along" on this one  :P

Amazing work, will be following this.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2014, 12:49:02 pm »
Rich, I just got a chance to look at this thread and about three pages in I realized that my mouth was hanging open....  I am truly amazed.  I always knew you were a great craftsman, but I had no idea what a gifted artist you are.  Amazing work my friend. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2014, 12:50:35 pm »
Rich, I just got a chance to look at this thread and about three pages in I realized that my mouth was hanging open....  I am truly amazed.  I always knew you were a great craftsman, but I had no idea what a gifted artist you are.  Amazing work my friend.

Don't feel bad Mr Rhodes, most everything he posts leaves my fly trap hanging open!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2014, 07:19:25 pm »
Mighty fine work, Rich. I am loving this.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »
Thank you fellas, glad that you like it so far.

Well, one more day gone and here's what happened....Needed to make the other set of talons, refine and reshape the leg feathers after getting the bird setting just right, the leg feathers and clearing the rear toe (thumb) talons took several hours. Then I started to define the feet and get them ready for final sanding and woodburning (got one done....one to go. Also refined the pikes' final "rock-fit".

Two sets of pictures so you can see close up shots of some of the clearance and other details.
rich