Author Topic: halfeye's going back to carving, painting done now, a little finish work left  (Read 43411 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: halfeye's going back to carving, but still checkin in (lots of pics)
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2014, 06:52:13 am »
Unbelievable work Rich! Keep it coming

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2014, 08:56:27 am »
Wow rich! Absolutely beautiful. Ever make a wooden skull? I think that's be cool. I'll keep watching
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline half eye

« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2014, 09:07:19 am »
Lostarrow, All the bits and pieces are glued together as they are finished. The pike was glued down after it was finished, then the finished feet were placed where they belonged, and the bird installed while the glue dried and then the bird came off to fork on. When the bird is done I will fill the leg holes full of epoxy and set the bird. The bird will also have 2 screws (under the inserted tail feathers) to make the whole thing one solid piece. It has a long vehicle trip ahead of it.

Thanks Tracy, and blair. I have carved skulls as part of the habitat but they were animal skulls, not human.
rich

Offline ehvhram

« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2014, 09:23:03 am »
Wow , fantastic artwork !

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2014, 10:06:21 am »
Never mind , I just had a brain fart! I see now that the carved feathers on the legs will cover the joint where it meets the feet . Love the step by step ! Carry on!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2014, 10:56:42 am »
I meant animal, who wants a human skull? Lol
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2014, 04:48:25 pm »
*slowly raises my hand*
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline half eye

« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2014, 08:06:29 pm »
Only got 5 hours in today, so here is that bit. Thought you might look at feather burning so there is that as well. I got about 60 feathers done with an average of 75 lines per so that's a bout 5min to sand and burn a feather....really slow compared to the young carver.

It's gonna be like this for a day or two, so will post again then when there is something new. There are several shots of the burnt feathers so you can see that they actually refract light....and will do so when painted.
rich

Offline wildman

« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2014, 08:35:42 pm »
Rich, The feather detail is so life like. If I ever become financially overwhelmed ( to the positive) I will commission you to carve a life size warrior of one of the Federation tribes complete with functioning weaponry.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline dlhamblin

« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2014, 09:50:40 am »
Amazing stuff Rich.   Can't wait to see something in person soon.  What a gift you have.

Offline half eye

« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2014, 06:16:28 pm »
These pictures are of the transition areas so you can see how that is done. There is the upper shoulder area in the feather pattern, flow, and type and then there is the portion where the head feathers contact the body.

There is a photo of a practice block where there are 3 different ways to to smaller, flatter feathers as compared to the body. Any time there is exposed shoulders on a bird you have the issue of replicating the feather direction and type. Since this bird is partially stretched out his shoulders show and at the same time are slightly different from each other because of it's "stance.
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2014, 05:24:20 pm »
 Man Rich that is coming along beautifully 8) I know one thing and that is you have some serious patience bud and talent...Looking forward to seeing the finished art
                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2014, 08:39:21 am »
Thanks Don, Dan...A few more days and I'll be down near the tail and we can get back to some less boring stuff. I check every morning and damned if that feather fairy ever comes during the night, must be using the wrong bait,eh >:D
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2014, 08:40:01 pm »
Got the body re-shaped and most of the feather groups down to the tail coverts and about 1/2 done with the burning. Here's the pics. The last pic is to show how the belly and legs feathers are laid out.

On the side I have done the groups consist of under marginal coverts, humerals, upper post humeral coverts, upper median secondary coverts, median coverts, major coverts, upper major secondary coverts and upper marginal coverts of the hand.

This is the part that nobody likes and I apologize if this is getting old, I can wait till I'm at the tail if you fellas are getting bored with all this woodburning stuff....I'm sure getting tired of it for sure.
rich 

Offline half eye

« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2014, 08:43:42 pm »
forgot to say that the big feathers in the middle of the back (1/2 are burned) those are the tertials.
rich