Author Topic: Beginner, have a few questions.  (Read 5037 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Beginner, have a few questions.
« on: August 09, 2014, 04:58:55 pm »
I know how sharp these minerals can be, but we tend to overlook things we "Know". I cut myself 3 times just sorting the Obsidian today, even before I bought it. I ended up getting a 5 pound chunk of Black Obsidian and a 5 pound chunk of Mahogany. Is there a designated place that you knap to avoid tiny glass shards being everywhere? How do you handle cleanup? The previous owner of my home had a metal shop in the garage, even after scrubbing down the whole place, and living here over a year I still end up with metal slivers in my feet. I suppose I'll have to break down and wear shoes while working this stuff. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Tower

Re: Beginner, have a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:30:07 pm »
Wear shoes, jeans , maybe some gloves& glasses.    That stuff cuts me& I've been knapping for years.  Blood is the price  we all pay to play.   You can Knap on a concrete floor. It sweeps up pretty good.  It's best to do it outside away from everything else.   Find a little spot & make it your own.   
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 11:07:47 pm »
I really just need to get my behind in gear and get my shop set up in the attic. 1100 square feet of freedom. The problem is that my AC is in the garage.  >:D

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 08:49:46 am »
Go buy a painters canvas drop cloth. Spread the canvas on the floor and place a stool at one corner. Let the chips and blood fall on the canvas. When you finish knapping just gather each corner and transport to dump pile.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:25:22 am »
Starting out, good info already. Protect your eyes and skin until you get comfortable with the process. If you're knapping inside, you really need a fan or some type of ventilation for all airborne pieces that are created. Iowa mentioned canvas drop cloth or even a poly tarp but it will wear fast and get holes.
Bandaids bandaids bandaids!  I prefer to knap in flip flops in the warmer months cause the flakes don't get trapped in the shoes and I simply wiggle them and flakes are gone. I have a pit where I keep my rock and break rock so it's somewhat contained to one spot that the kids and dogs can avoid. I would start out with protective clothing and eye gear until you develop a style that works for you.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:33:40 am »
Do you prefer Abo tools, or modern ones? I know it is a personal preference, Just curious. I have a small bopper that another member made me, and am going to make a copper pressure flaker later today. I also have a whole yard full of granite hammer stones.

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 03:30:54 pm »
I really just need to get my behind in gear and get my shop set up in the attic. 1100 square feet of freedom. The problem is that my AC is in the garage.  >:D
[/quote]

Be careful knapping in enclosed spaces........silicosis

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:03:33 am »
What they all said is good. I would suggest that if you are just starting, you may want to save your obsidian until you learn the basics. Since you plan to work obsidian, start practicing with glass first... bottle bottoms or other workable glass. Obsidian and glass work almost the same. A five pound chunk may seem like a lot, but that will turn into a pile a very sharp gravel in a hurry if you are just starting out.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 09:19:52 am »
Do you prefer Abo tools, or modern ones? I know it is a personal preference, Just curious. I have a small bopper that another member made me, and am going to make a copper pressure flaker later today. I also have a whole yard full of granite hammer stones.
ABO is all I do but it is hard to learn on your own. knap outside if you can like Tracy said.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 09:43:23 am »
I always use a drop cloth and have a big metal can that I put the flakes into.  I have always believed that my flakes should not be spread where the Indians knapped so unless you have a pit like they have at the Classic or many others like Mullet or Crafty Jack you should contain them.  My mentor, J B Solberger, was a early leader in the old days and a smoker.  He died of silicosis.  So its important to have good ventilation.  I started out ABO (Means with no Clue) many years ago and now use any method to tease a point or blade out of a rock.  Your best bet is to get with someone who can show you how to get started.  I have a tube of super glue for the really bad bleeds in my kit!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 02:49:38 pm »
One of the Knap-in's I found had been cancelled due to the family having moved. I don't know the guys name, but I guess he is a well know knapper, from Lehi Utah. I am looking for any that may be fairly close. I read that there is one at the museum at the U of U, so I'll have to check it out. It has been for more difficult to find people around that are into the who "Primitive" thing. I want to go to the Fort Bridger Rendevous in a few weeks, but being a long weekend I may go to the cabin instead. It also happens to be the weekend of the International flight shooters meet.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 03:20:02 pm »
I just read that the Utah Valley Knapping Assoc. meets the first Sat. of the month at the Hutchings Museum in Lehi. I think the guy you are talking about goes by knapperman on PaleoPlanet.
flintknapper@comcast.com
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 06:15:25 pm »
Right, they DID have it there. The woman I talked to said that the man who had always run the whole deal (Utah Valley Knappers) Moved somewhere back east. She said that they still planned to have it, she just didn't know when it would be back to its regular schedule. She said to call back in September.  She didn't sound too posative.  >:( The museum is about 2 minutes walking from my in-laws house.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 07:39:11 pm »
Working with glass or obsidian is always challenging as far as cleanup.  Lots of good tips already mentioned.  I would add that you have the potential to breath a LOT more dust when you are cleaning up than when you are knapping, so wear a mask if you don't have a breeze blowing the dust across and away from your face when you shake out the drop cloth or sweep up the flakes.  I always hold my breath during cleanup when I see the dust cloud...

Try to stay away from clear and light colored glass in the beginning.  The shards are practically invisible and it's very hard to find them under your skin if you are trying to remove them.  Start with jet black obsidian that you can't see through, if at all possible, when you are starting out.  You can get more daring later when you know how to deal with the glass slivers and fine dust.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 10:07:54 pm »
It makes me happy to see so many people bring up the dust issue. I am a certified respirator fit tester for my work. I work with concrete dust all day long, and while I really hate wearing a mask, I know that it is something that needs to be done. It is awesome that safety is one of the biggest pieces of advice that you all promote. It is hard to get it through some peoples heads just how dangerous this stuff can be to breathe.