Author Topic: Heard something foolish on TV  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Marks

Re: Heard something foolish on TV
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 12:12:52 pm »
Poor guy. While I know he is wrong I can kind of understand why he would think that. When you were a kid did you ever have a friend push on roller skates or skate board or bike. We would have someone get behind you and run and push. Right before they let go they would give a hard shove. It always felt like you were still gaining speed for a second or 2 after they let go. I'll give the guy a pass on this one. I reckon we all have a few misconceptions about things. His just happened to be on national television. I hate to take it away from archery but you would think a ranger would be familiar with ballistics charts. Muzzle velocity is always the highest and it goes slower from there on out. As we say in Alabama, Bless his heart.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 05:55:51 pm »
I remember that Mark, thing is in bows and arrows that last shove is the arrow coming off the string, sorry no pass here, that was just plane dumb Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 06:41:21 pm »
I saw that show, made me cringe when he said it.  He was a Maine state game warden, not a ranger, fyi.

I was once working a booth at an ATA show, had a bow company rep tell me that "their" bow shot flatter than other bows at the same fps...  I said to him " I'm not a rocket scientist, but, there is no possible way any bow design has any influence over an arrow after it leaves the string"  He quietly walked away...

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 12:28:53 pm »
I wouldn't put too much into what he said. The cameras were rolling and he wanted to look like he knew more than he really did so he could look like a tough guy for TV. Not the same, but I was at a housewarming party a few years ago and all these folks there were bragging about their collections of Anasazi pottery and artifacts (illegal) and who were these guys? Federal forest rangers. The best pothunters are the ones with the maps that show the sites only the government knows about.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...