Author Topic: Heard something foolish on TV  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Heard something foolish on TV
« on: August 08, 2014, 08:51:32 pm »
So I was watching this show today. It was basically just like "Cops" but with forest rangers. I think it was on animal planet. In one scene a ranger was helping a hunter track a wounded deer that had been shot by an arrow. The ranger asked the guy how close he had been when he made the shot, and the hunter said he was about 10 yards away. The ranger then scolded him saying that 10 yards was too close for a bow shot because the arrow didn't have enough time to get up to speed and build its momentum.

I immediately called foul on that, and so should any highschool physics student. The most fundamental equation in classical physics is F=MA. Force equals mass times acceleration. This means you can't have acceleration without a force. Since all the force behind the arrow is applied by the string, the instant the arrow leaves the string it no longer has a forward force acting on it and will not accelerate forward anymore. Its already at its top speed when it leaves the string, and will only slow down due to drag until it stops completely by impacting the target.

So the ranger was definitely wrong about all that. But it did get me thinking. Is there such a thing as too close? Would the fishtailing motion of the arrow as it corrects for the archer's paradox throw off accuracy at close range? I doubt it would throw it off so much at such close range, and I'm assuming the guy in the show was probably using a compound so the archer's paradox wouldn't even apply to him. Do you think there was any validity to what the ranger said? Personally I think he was talking out of his arse.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Heard something foolish on TV
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 08:59:00 pm »
Ranger talking nonsense.  Not the first time.   They're only human.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Newindian

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 09:13:47 pm »
The flexing of the shaft hurts penetration  at close range
I like free stuff.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:21:01 pm »
I don't think you can be too close, unless your in a tree stand, then "angle" has more to do with it.  Once early on in my hunting experience, I was in a tree stand, shot a big doe right under me.  It was drizzling rain, saw the deer jump off the arrow and watched it disappear out of site over a hill bout 50yds away.  I didn't wait long due to the rain, got down and pull the arrow out of the ground, plenty of good blood and a small white spongy piece of lung was next to the arrow.  Wow thought I had scored for sure, started over the hill where I lost sight of the deer.   And saw the doe laying down, she jumped up and took off like a shot.  Very disgusted I waited a half an hour and continued the tracking, about 100 more yards I saw a puddle of blood where the deer stood awhile.  It was raining pretty good by now, long story short, I looked for that deer another two hours in the night and went back the next day with a buddy and looked for another 6 hours.  Never found the deer,  I can only think that the arrow was a little off center and went through one lung.  A deer can run a long way spooked and with one lung.  I will never as take that shot again an will always be as quite after the shot as before.  I will also wait much longer before tracking and wait until the "angle" is better to get a double lung.  Only deer I've losted and think about it years later.
DBar

Sorry for getting off the subject a bit,,,,,, :)     
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:11:18 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:05:54 pm »
LOL I never let em get that close. 40-30 yards is where I practice.
At least the ranger was helping the dude track.
Usually they are out to bust ya.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:35:06 pm »
LOL I never let em get that close. 40-30 yards is where I practice.
At least the ranger was helping the dude track.
Usually they are out to bust ya.
Zuma

Yeah he seemed like a decent guy, just didn't really know what he was talking about. They ended up finding the arrow with some white hair on it, so they figured he just grazed it and that it never went down.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 12:22:38 am »
When I saw that North Woods Law segment several months ago I went to their Facebook page and commented on the inaccuracy of the statement.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 11:38:19 am »
With the kind of nonsense that gets on the boob tube it is no wonder we are always having to fight the misinformed
to keep our right to hunt. Even some of the programs on the hunting channels do us a disservice at times and these are from people trying to promote hunting.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 09:37:54 pm »
Lol. Reminds me of a wildlife biologist that told a buddy of mine that deer wont eat corn off of the stalks in a corn field. Said they only eat what the coons leave on the ground.  :o
Steve Bennett

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 11:33:28 pm »
I contacted the head NC DNR Law Enforcement guy to have him explain to me what the regs meant by a "barbed" broadhead. He thought for a minute and said...it can't look like a fish hook. I said "GOOD!" none of my stone heads or trade points look like fish hooks. He came back with...maybe you ought to ask the officer who is writing the ticket.    :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 12:37:46 am »
I contacted the head NC DNR Law Enforcement guy to have him explain to me what the regs meant by a "barbed" broadhead. He thought for a minute and said...it can't look like a fish hook. I said "GOOD!" none of my stone heads or trade points look like fish hooks. He came back with...maybe you ought to ask the officer who is writing the ticket.    :-\

I hear you Pat. My Buddy down here was an Agriculture Deputy Sheriff.  He gave some guys a ticket for hunting rabbits out of season. He told me about it and was proud until I told him you could hunt rabbits year round in Florida. Now he's a Wildlife Officer and I'm his best friend and Advisor. ::) 8) :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 03:02:32 am »
Something foolish on TV? Surely not ;) ... you only have to watch the news for that :(.
Can they be too close? Yeah, they are only too close when their antlers are stickin' in you  :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 04:31:56 am »
I figured Pappy would comment on this one - He shoots 'Em pretty close. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 08:53:43 am »
somethong foolish on tv?        NEVAH!!!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 09:49:42 am »
Yep if 3 or 4 yards is to close then I guess I let them get to close, :) taken a bunch at that range,must just be getting lucky as far as penetration goes. ;) :) :) :) TV = MOSTLY BULL s#!(( when it come to anything to do with real hunting. Zuma,30 40 yards ,WOW ,you are the man,I wouldn't even think about taking a shot that far,if fact at that range I haven't even picked my bow up yet unless they are in a fast steady walk toward me. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good