Author Topic: BBO ready for the glue up  (Read 4522 times)

Stringman

BBO ready for the glue up
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:56:21 pm »
Obviously not my area of expertise, so feel free to chime in...

I have all my pieces prepped and the glue lines look good. I have a power lam of Purple Heart between the belly (Osage) and handle (maple.) Is one power lam enough?

I just opened my yr old can of Unibond to see if it was still usable.. And it's not.  ::) so another question, is should I pop for the new can of Unibond, or use TB III?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:00:29 pm by Stringman »

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: BBH ready for the glue up
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:07:35 pm »
I'm not sure I would use the wedge because, it is going to be putting uneven pressure on the glue.  You are going to get more pressure on the thicker side of the wedge.  You might want to get another wedge on the wether side or something to get more even pressure. 

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 05:16:17 pm »
That's so much more fancy shmancy than what I do that I can't comment  :-X ....that's borderline a glass form right there.. Scott should we be concerned with the direction your going?  ???  ::)  :-X   :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:33:22 pm »
Scott you have too many pressure points. You need even clamping force from tip to tip with no more than say a 2" gap. Like 30) 2" c clamps, heavy rubber bands, bike tubes and the sort. Your only pushing on the nodes, that will make them dry, and POW.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 05:37:35 pm »
Lol!! No Chris, I would definitely not call this a direction.   >:D  I got this form and some seemingly unusable pieces of f***** glass from a friend last year. Glass still stands in the corner with no future in sight, but this form seems like a good place to start for a lam bow. I had to cut out the top "press" board last night and it looks like I should be able to get some nice even pressure with this setup. Another bonus is that the whole thing can then be laid into the hot box for the drying period. No clamps, rubber bands, or twines necessary.

Agreed Matt, need to get some more shims so I can fit them from both sides.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 05:40:10 pm »
 So even though I can see no light between the lams I need to shim between the nodes??

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:50:53 pm »
So even though I can see no light between the lams I need to shim between the nodes??

You don't wanna crush the nodes and put all your pressure on them....just cut a bunch of pine shims to stick in there every couple inches that keeps the pressure in between the nodes and up off of them...that form should work dandy if done right...and I agree with matt on the wedge at the handle area..unless ya stuck another wedge in the opposite direction? Of course you can always just do it like the glass guys do and use a pressure hose  :P

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 06:28:58 pm »
Pieces of open cell foam would work well to. They are soft, but not too soft and would apply nice pressure.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 06:46:05 pm »
Ya Chris,(oops Blackhawk) I was thinking pressure hose also,,, :) :P :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 07:42:17 pm »
Scott you have too many pressure points. You need even clamping force from tip to tip with no more than say a 2" gap. Like 30) 2" c clamps, heavy rubber bands, bike tubes and the sort. Your only pushing on the nodes, that will make them dry, and POW.
+2
I use an open form, it seems to work, and rubber tube.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Stringman

Re: BBO ready for the glue up
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 08:41:54 pm »
Ok... How bout the glue part of the question?

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 09:39:55 pm »
  You need a pressure strip, maybe medium dense foam, They usually use an inflated aur hose with a form like that. I used to use a similar form with a foam strip for pressure. You might consider a tad more reflex at the same time.

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 11:11:00 pm »
TB 3
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 12:10:07 am »
A fire hose is what I would use, and have got a chunk if you need it, but you would have to find the plugs. I am going to this in some of my forms. I personal;ly think the hose woould give a better glue line with a even amount of pressure. Just my opinion. :) Tite bond will work in my expiriences.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 02:37:09 am »
I think that set up for clamping looks great in a steam punk sort of Jules Verne way ;D ;) but is actually pants :o
I think the reasons have already been spelled out. Just take off the top section and the ironwork. Use good ol' rubber wraps it will give much more even pressure.
If you do want to use the jig, as is, use wedges with a very shallow angle pushed in from alternate sides with very little gap between 'em.
Oooooh just had another idea!  :o
Put a layer of rubber tube/strap wha'ever between boo and top former then apply pressure to the top former by putting wedges under the bolts that go through the very top of the iron straps !? Yes?... No? ... er maybe. At least it's quick and simple and it uses the jig in it's full glory... mind I thonk some domed brass nails tapped in along the bottom would add to the look  >:D
Prob' best idea is to sit and have a beer and think >:D
Del
(PS. Not my area of expertise either, so maybe I'll join you for that beer :laugh: )
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:44:04 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.