Author Topic: Red Bois d' Ark !!  (Read 3454 times)

Offline coyote1956

Red Bois d' Ark !!
« on: August 05, 2014, 10:23:33 pm »
"Thunderbird" My first by myself , with some tips and help from you guys, I posted this bow about a month ago in its beginning stages, got it done now and shootin!  The pictures from camera dont nearly show how it looks amazing in the sun it almost comes to life like a red ruby sparkling, tru oil finish. made from Tennesee Osage , Please critique , I want to better even next time.  Bow is 70" oal, - 68" nock to nock, about 50# , String made by my friend "Warpath".  A little snakey and loopy, shelf built out with belt leather then covered, handle wrapped with deer hide.  Oxblood leather dye,  Medicine wheel symbol and Thunderbird, couple special markings on belly. Hope it's decent enough to catch a few eyes, thanks all you guys, i read here alot and learn much from you, Ken   
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:24:41 pm by coyote1956 »
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Offline autologus

Re: Red Bois d' Ark !!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:50:26 pm »
Wow that is awesome, but red really is not your color so you might as well send it to me since red is my color.  >:D

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:52:26 pm »
Cool bow, I like it. Looks like you had to work around some character issues in that top limb. Probably not an easy stave to tiller but you did some fine work on it Ken.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:52:41 pm »
I really like that color and finish you did.  How she shoot?
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 11:53:56 pm »
Nice bow Ken.  I love the color on it. 
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 12:17:43 am »
Very nicely done! I have some red B-50 that screams for a bow like that! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 12:18:57 am »
Good looking bow with plenty of natural character, and some added by you with the artwork. I bought oxblood leather dye myself because it sounds, and looked cool in the bottle, but wants to be pink on everything I tried it with so far.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 08:30:53 am »
Personality! Nice.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 09:15:40 am »
I like that one a lot. Nice job.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:47:56 am »
I love the organic styled artwork.  Very primo primitive!  ...and for such a wiggly stave, you really got a NICE bend out of it.

@Lebhunt - Careful of that Red B-50 Patrick!  It tends to leak red-ish pink dye onto everything it touches and fades quick too.

OneBow

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 09:55:46 am »
Very nice.  You did a fine job.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 12:46:47 pm »
really nice job. I am the same on the oxblood, if it would stay oxblood I would use it more but it likes to turn a pinkish hue for me.too. Love the artwork and the bend is very nice for a stave with the challenges that one posses.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 01:28:05 pm »
Your right One bow, but I think the red would blend in with that bow!
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline coyote1956

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 08:09:04 pm »
You guys are the best !!!  Your compliments on my bow really mean alot to me.  The oxblood was a Fiebings dye for leather. 3 coats of it  was thinking i over did it but  ....  wow in the sun it pops ! 
3 coats of tru oil, buffed to dull between coats with 0000 steeel wool.   
It shoots nice , very quiet too just like i like.  I'm new at this bow makin biz....  I see bows you all make that just amaze me how you do it.  Took me alot of time with scaper and patience,  with helpful critiques and advice  from several of you true masters.   the loopy bend in top limb was challenging.  Thank You all , Ken        ps hope to see some of you at the TBOF fall shoot this weekend  I know Mullet and Twisted Limbs Ryan will be there    take care brothers of the bow ! 
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Offline warpath

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 08:44:19 pm »
That bow came out really nice Ken!! Great job!! :)

G