Author Topic: Tiller check 48" Hackberry (Better?)  (Read 4167 times)

Offline BarredOwl

Tiller check 48" Hackberry (Better?)
« on: August 04, 2014, 08:03:10 pm »
I tried looking in the mirror and drawing it and using a tillering stick.  The only thing I havent tried is a pulley and rope so I can get back away from it.  The only way I can get a good idea is by taking a photo.  I think I know what it looks like but want to hear what it looks like to you guys.   

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:28:59 pm by BarredOwl »

Offline streamflyer

Re: Tiller check 48" Hackberry
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:29:09 pm »
Well I am very new to this but it looks like the first third of your top limb looks a little stiff. but a great looking bow so far.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:59:37 pm »
I'm on an IPhone so really hard to tell but, looks to me like the bottom is weaker. Turn it over and see if that changes things if you feel that I am right. Put it on a tiller stick at 10 inches or so and run a straight edge along the belly. The gap will tell you if it is on or off.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 09:08:11 pm »
The bottom limb looks weaker to me too.  On the tiller stick last night at 13" it looked very even.  I was very proud of myself.   I was all ready to show it off until I saw the photo that I had my wife take.    I will try the straight edge and compare both sides to each other.     

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:12:01 pm »
Well I am very new to this but it looks like the first third of your top limb looks a little stiff. but a great looking bow so far.

Bingo. Good eye new guy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BarredOwl

Re: Tiller check 48" Hackberry (Better?)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 10:28:19 pm »
Still is looking a little stiff in the upper limb overall to me.  I am well under my target weight of 40 lbs @ 22" now but hey its a first bow and a shooter so far.   Set is up to 1 3/4" just after unbracing and probably not dropping much below 1 1/2. 

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:35:41 pm »
That new pic looks pretty darn good to me. Top maybe still a bit stiff, but not by much, at least not by my eye. I'd probably shoot it in real good then double check after that.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:59:34 pm »
that's looking pretty good!  The last bow I made was very similar to that one!  Hackberry short bend through the handle.  So this may be crazy and totally wrong but I think just above your hand, above center could lose a small amount of wood.  At this point I'd say only minor touches where it feels stiff.  Try to feel the wood bending as you draw. 

its a first bow and a shooter so far.
Wait, this is your first bow???  In that case it looks great!  Shoot it a lot and get to working on your next one.  The more you make the better you will get.  I personally love this design and the wood!  I'd stick to it until you feel confident enough to branch out to other stuff.  You could try flipping the tips if you wanted to get a little more weight out of it but you're doing real good. 

One last word of advice, you may want to shoot that silly aluminum thing into the woods.   >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:01:41 pm »
Looks way better!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 11:07:05 pm »
One last word of advice, you may want to shoot that silly aluminum thing into the woods.   >:D

Hey, it's just my draw measuring device if you look you may be able to see some of my marks between some of the camo print.  This bow won't be shooting those.  I still have a couple vintage Bear recurves that I used to hunt with and I have to do something with old arrows right?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 11:59:08 pm »
If your using your phone to take a picture put a quarter on the screen for those circular tillered bows. It helps. It's looking good
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 08:54:30 am »
Perfect.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 09:16:11 am »
Don't know how you could get any better than that. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 12:54:43 pm »
Yes, leave it.
That is a nice lil' bow!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 01:12:21 pm »
Tiller looks great.  You said it's Hackberry, ...so, if you haven't yet heat treated the belly, ( - - - which it doesn't look like you have - - - ) ...you may find a few of the pounds that you intended to leave in the bow hiding in your heat gun!  Wouldn't THAT be a nice surprise!

OneBow