Author Topic: Glass both sides board bow ??  (Read 10830 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Glass both sides board bow ??
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 11:00:42 pm »
I remember watching a video of who I'm quite sure was Fred Bear. He was talking about the evolution of the bows his company made, and he talked briefly about applying fiberglass to both the belly and the back. He had found that adding it to the back was productive, but that adding it to the belly was not. You can't go wrong as a rookie glass bowyer following the advice of Fred Bear. I wouldn't bother with the belly if I were you.

Offline bambam

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 10:17:10 am »
When I was 13-14 I had a production one piece wood longbow that broke. Some how one made from a board sounds flimsy without backing. Spent time finding the perfect board and forming it up, don't want it to break. Will go with cloth and Titebond III backing then smooth it with epoxy. Will save the glass to rebuild a red oak bow designed for glass. My split stave should be ready for going primitive in January. Going to learn this bow building in increments.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 10:27:07 am »
I just got done with a 54# Red Oak board bow. It can be done, and I wasn't backing mine, Even if it broke, it wasn't getting backed.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »
Why are your rawhide backing looking messy? No backing should look messy if applied properly.
 No reason to mix TB with Epoxy. Either or will get the job done if you want a smooth backing.
 You may want to revisit the bow board threads on here to see just how flimsy a board actually is.
 A wood backed bow is also just two boards glued together.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 07:03:44 pm »
Some how one made from a board sounds flimsy without backing.

I dunno man, unbacked bows fed humanity for thousands of years pretty efficiently, and we're all still OK :P Well, most of us (the ones around here are weird :D)

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 07:05:56 pm »
Just search my posts, must be 90% board bows up to 70#, selfies and backed
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline 4dog

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 08:30:56 pm »
just made a 65# unbacked oasge bow...nothon flomsy about it...take a little more time dont rush it and build you a selfbow...back it with hickory ifya like
..youll get plenty of help if ya just ask...and for Godsakes....leave the FG alone around here!!!   pullleeeeze!!!  lmbo
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 08:55:24 pm »
I've been hunting with one since 2003, still ain't flimsy at 60#
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bambam

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 10:46:47 am »
Starting to think you guys are right. The red oak was not remotely as powerful as this maple thing. Ready to start tillering as soon as the tips are on. Right now it is pulling 60-65 lb. Where I went wrong with the first one was final tillering before shooting it.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 01:05:42 pm »
Why spend the time and effort putting tips on before you tiller the bow? If you leave the tips slightly wide you can cut in temporary string nocks to complete the tillering. You don't need finished tips to tiller a bow and in my mind it is a waste of time until you are sure the bow will survive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bambam

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 02:08:07 pm »
I have no doubt the bow will survive. The floor tiller is looking great like the first bow did. Really all I expect to do is reduce the weight and shoot it some before final tillering. The tips were no problem as I already had some home made micarta and just had to glue them on. When this works out after 1000 shots I intend to redo it without backing and make it all pretty with antler tips and such. Just have to get over the nervousness about shooting something not laminated. Lam wood is much stronger than one piece.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 02:32:56 pm »
I have no doubt the bow will survive. The floor tiller is looking great like the first bow did. Really all I expect to do is reduce the weight and shoot it some before final tillering. The tips were no problem as I already had some home made micarta and just had to glue them on. When this works out after 1000 shots I intend to redo it without backing and make it all pretty with antler tips and such. Just have to get over the nervousness about shooting something not laminated. Lam wood is much stronger than one piece.

Damn, you were easy to convince, now you have no doubt it will survive ??? And you are still going to back it after it survives a thousand shots? :o ::) That's a crap load of shooting, it ought to be shot in :D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bambam

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 05:18:15 pm »
Put Irish linen backing on and shot it in. Draws super smooth and shoots dead bang. Just have to even out the tiller a little and make it pretty. Unfortunately it's going to be a 40 lb bow.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 01:00:51 am »
im getting confused with this thread...no harm meant...just...ya know....hmmm.??
"SET" is always there !!!

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 07:44:54 am »
I don't even know where to start than other to say I'm reading a lot of wrong preconceived notions here by the o.p.  :-X