Author Topic: Hi.nylon backing  (Read 6756 times)

Offline p@ol_9to

Hi.nylon backing
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:35:18 pm »
Hi.What kind of glue would work for bonding a nylon strip to a wooden bow ?Paul :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hi.nylon backing
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 04:45:41 pm »
Paul, Titebond glue will work for gluing nylon to a wood bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 04:55:19 pm »
...but nylon is a pretty bad choice for a backing. It'll stretch and only be decorative at the expense of slowing down the bow. Might keep a small splinter down, but that's about it.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 05:27:17 pm »
I would back it with silk or linen, they both excellent in protecting the back and preventing splintering.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 07:36:21 pm »
For very cheap and good backing you can use brown paper (just cut strips from paper bags). It works fine and you can stain it or paint on it for extra looks. Just use about 5 layers for each limb. Dampen it in water first and apply with wood glue.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 01:45:21 am »
TBB talks of nylon being similar to sinew in performance.  I THINK the recommendation was to prestretch it. 

I'm wondering what form of nylon they used in their experiments?  One could use the twine as a cable back.  Or a strip of fabric glued down?  I was considering trying to unravel and comb out some twine, then apply as sinew in wood glue.  Or just lay the strings out.?.

They did a linen backed pine bow like that in tbb.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:59:11 am »
The TBB talks of nylon mason's cord being similar to sinew braided cordage in properties. They also mention ripstop nylon.
 Polyester is actually more similar to sinew in properties. Think of the stretch and recovery of Dacron B50.
 Nylon tends to just stretch.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:29:19 am »
I would back it with something natural so we can talk about it on this site.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 11:55:52 am »
oH .. i CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT? ?  :P

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 12:00:37 pm »
No. Rule #3
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:47 pm »
UH OH...LOOKOUT!!! Here come the forum police  8)  :laugh:

:laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »
Integrity is all we have here. Let it go too far and its gone.

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 12:33:00 pm »
Don't consider this me jumping down anyone's throat, but I couldn't help but see the similarities between nylon backing and F****glass (which is heatedly avoided here.) So, I'm with Pearly on this one.

Your question was about the glue. My advise is to use a natural backing and then use Titebond III.  ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 02:26:08 pm »
If someone thinks someone else is in violation of a rule then report it to a moderator,and don't try to take it upon yourself to correct them either thru out in the open or thru pm's...this is straight from the horses mouth,and from one of the moderators on here,and was told to me a couple years ago...I was told its there job to handle such things and situations..that's what there here for...let them deal with it. Doing it this way helps keeps things "civil" around here..so let's keep it that way...not trying to be a jerk..jus saying and repeating what I was told is all   :-X

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 05:18:42 pm »
The Moderator is here now :), and I agree. This should be Around the Campfire if it's gonna continue discussing the merits of nylon.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?