Author Topic: Snake skin seepage!  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Tommytinker

Snake skin seepage!
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:21:26 pm »
So this is the 4th time I've finished a bow with snake skins. My problem is I always get unsightly seepage round the edges after applying the finish.

I've stuck them on with titebond 3 every time and I've used a few different finishes: tru oil, grain filler followed by tru oil and just pure tung oil. All with the same results.

The last time I made sure the skins were stuck fast and true, even wrapped with strips of inner tube, and still got seepage.

Anyone want to share there experience and tell me where I'm going wrong?

Thanks, Tommy

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Snake skin seepage!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:35:49 pm »
What do you mean by seepage?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:24:26 pm »
How long did you let the glue cure? TB glue adds moisture to the wood so in humid it could take a week. Also, are you squeegeeing out the excess glue under the skin?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4dog

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:41 pm »
try using watered down or thinned out glue....rehydrate your skins....pat them dry...brush the glue on the back of the bow.....lay down your skins...SQWEEGIE the skins flat with your fingers ...wipe off sqweegied excess...dont touch em till they are dry...wrks fer me.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:21 am »
If you put your skins on properly there won't be any glue to seep out. First of all ; wrapping a skin is a waste of time, working the glue out from under the skin by rolling your thumbs toward the edge will get rid of air bubbles and any excess glue.

I do this for about 20 minutes a limb after I put the skins on.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:11:00 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 01:35:37 am »
If you put your skins on properly there won't be any glue to seep out. First of all ; wrapping a skin is a waste of time, working the glue out from under the skin by rolling your thumbs toward the edge will get rid of air bubbles and any excess glue.

I do this for about 20 minutes a limb after I put he skins on.

is that painters tape on the sides? sorry dont mean to hijack.
i tack my skins down with painters tape, but after 15 minutes take the tape off and squeeze all the extra glue out the sides. just like previously stated

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 06:29:09 am »
I do the same as Eric,only don't use the painters tape,TB3 has never gave me much of an issue cleaning up
so I never tape it off.  I Just keep working it up and down and from side to side until it is set, depending on the weather/temp. usually 10 to 30 minutes. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline autologus

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:16:48 am »
I know exactly what you mean, except I have had some seepage or soakage on a spot or two on my rawhide backing.  I know the backing was glued down very well and the glue had cured several weeks but there was a spot or two that looked like the true-oil had soaked into the backing a little bit.  This is not terribly unsightly as it is a slight amber and the bow is painted a Modoc style pattern and it kind of gives it a older rustic feel to it but still...  Any ideas on this?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 10:09:33 am »
I take a few minutes to tape off a bow before I apply skins. I have found that no matter how carefully I clean off an untaped bow  I will find a spot or two of glue that I missed that will show up with the first coat of finish. When I pull the tape off I have a clean bow.