Author Topic: favorite stains and finishes  (Read 7361 times)

Offline Crogacht

Re: favorite stains and finishes
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 06:09:01 pm »

Here's my guide to commercial stain colours available in the UK.
Mahogany= Tart's lipstick
Pine= Yellow
Dark Pine= Brown
Teak= Brown
Oak= Brown
Dark Oak=Black

It's the same here Del   :-*

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 06:34:06 pm »
Like IdahoMatt, I use TransTint for staining.  It's expensive but the colors don't fade and they can be mixed with just about anything (not just water).

As for finishes, I use to use a lot of shellac but now I just use whatever I can mix and clean up with mineral spirits.  Easy.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bushboy

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 06:46:51 pm »
I havn't tried it yet but a friend told me to lightly toast the belly with a carbon rich flame from oxy/act torch.just a light flame with lottsa black smoke!then lightly sand and apply the finish.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bow101

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 08:43:29 pm »
I have used a few, some of my faves are Shelac or mineral oil  and the finish it with clear a coat.   ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 12:25:24 am »
I love playing with finishes/colors and will experiment with just about any medium on wood. Charcoal, earth pigments, stains, leather dyes, walnut hulls, paints and even wall glazes meant for faux finishes. Various woods will respond differently to the same colorants and some times it is a guess as to how one or more colors will react on a particular wood compared to another species but the process is fun for me. Sometimes I'll put on something that looks bad and then after removing as much of the messed up color as I can I'l start layering on another color or two and end up with something I really like. Of course I can never duplicate that finish again since it happened by accident. ;)
Here's some examples, maybe more pictures than you wanted Lee and if you see one finish you like I probably couldn't even explain or remember how I did it, best to just dive in on your own and see what you come up with.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 07:33:08 am »
Badly Bent, That first bow has a really cool color! How did you stain that? I do the same thing. I am currently finishing an elm self bow and ended up sanding as much of the minwax mahagony stain off as I could because it looked terrible and re doing it.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 08:45:29 am »
Lee, that first one was a refinish job. The bow had a light brown dye job and tru-oil finish on it that I gently sanded out as much as possible. Now since the dye and oil from the original finish kinda gets into the wood it won't all come out, good base for one of those experimental finishes I mentioned. ;)  I then blended some black leather dye, or maybe it was umber earth pigments (can't remember), mixed with alcohol and applied lightly then partially rubbed out and blended into areas with a alcohol dampened rag leaving some black here and there. After that dried I went over all of it with some green leather dye that I had added a little black or brown dye to in order to tone down. It's hackberry and I find this wood takes colors differently than some other white woods.
One way to get this layered color effect when using dyes or pigments is to put a thin coat of tru-oil on between the different colors, allow it to dry and then gently rub it out in random areas with fine steel wool before overlaying the next color. You can also do the same with fresh bare wood by starting with a thin coat of tru-oil before any color is added, steel wool it out, then layer colors , oil again, steel wool again and layer colors, repeat. Hope this makes sense. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 09:29:41 am »
If I add color, which I do more times than not, I use aniline dyes in either oil or alcohol mediums... blending and fading colors together, or fading them into the natural tone of the wood, to get the look I want, often creating highlights or enhancing the grain with 0000 steel wool used in specific places, then spray with Thunderbird satin epoxy. This part of bowmaking is as important to me as tillering.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Ron Wright

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 12:46:28 am »
Anyone use grain filler before putting on your finish?