Author Topic: fast flight  (Read 11561 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: fast flight
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 04:10:02 pm »
Y'all should ask gun doc what happens to a western hemlock bow with selfnocks strung with a B-50 loop padded fast flight string..lmao  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
What he said!!! :laugh:
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 07:37:21 pm »
Y'all should ask gun doc what happens to a western hemlock bow with selfnocks strung with a B-50 loop padded fast flight string..lmao  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
What he said!!! :laugh:

Yea, closely related to string cheese!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline bow101

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 08:14:05 pm »
If its not osage. Id overlay it. All whitewoods are soft.

Sugar maple & Ocean Spray is soft...?   ???    Is B55 any better than B50.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 08:32:41 pm »
Ocean spray is hard as a rock, lovely wood. Sugar maple, not so much. I guess my "hard"wood category is just smaller than most. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 09:02:00 pm »
I guess my "hard"wood category is just smaller than most. 
Few guys would brag about that Pearlie. >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 09:33:18 pm »
Mr. funny Pat! Good catch, I must admit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 10:45:54 pm »
b-55 is better than b-50 it stretches way less
man Pat got ya good pearlie
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 11:02:38 pm »
Yes, hickory will easily dent under a 6-8 strand FF string. Elm, oaks, HHB, hackberry, walnut, maple and beech will all dent without overlays. Ive done a few hundred.
I guess I best take the string off of this ash bow I made for my granddaughter then !
Any one have Pink and Purple B50 that can get a string to me within the next couple of days her birthday is this next week and this is her gift ?

Guy, If I remember correctly I padded those loops pretty generously.  It is a low poundage bow.  I think it will be OK. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 03:34:50 am »
Another thing that is just as important a consideration is the design of the bow. The shorter the working limbs the more likely fastflight would be to damage the nocks.
Also what do most people make their overlays out of?? ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 05:57:49 am »
Antler Mike. ;) :) I overlay most anyway so not an issues for me,but if padded I see no real difference.
Gun Doc's blowing [didn't see it] but 1 don't make a rule as we all know. It could have been the string I guess  :-\ but I have have seen B 50 do the same on several bows. As long as the string groves and smooth off nice and no Sharp edges I don't think you will have any problems.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 08:09:13 am »
Yes, hickory will easily dent under a 6-8 strand FF string. Elm, oaks, HHB, hackberry, walnut, maple and beech will all dent without overlays. Ive done a few hundred.
I guess I best take the string off of this ash bow I made for my granddaughter then !
Any one have Pink and Purple B50 that can get a string to me within the next couple of days her birthday is this next week and this is her gift ?

Guy, If I remember correctly I padded those loops pretty generously.  It is a low poundage bow.  I think it will be OK.
Thanks Clint
I just have never used the stuff so no real clue and this being a special gift that I may not be able to keep an eye on I do not want anything to go wrong
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 08:23:37 am »
Another thing that is just as important a consideration is the design of the bow. The shorter the working limbs the more likely fastflight would be to damage the nocks.
Also what do most people make their overlays out of?? ;)

95% are buff horn or ipe. flat sawn Osage on occasion as well.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:27 am »
Guy I can assume the bow is 15-25#? Nothing can really happen at that weight. Im talking 45# plus bow. Especially 55-65# bows.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 12:46:31 pm »
It is 25 -35
Clint says its good
It is noisy not sure I like that
Thanks
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 03:07:36 pm »
I agree with PD. Overlays on anything but osage, if you must use it.

But I am not an expert on FF because I once had a mishap with the stuff and now refuse to use it. Y'all are welcome to it.

I admit I've used it for tillering osage. It's good in the early stages because it does not stretch much.

I made the mistake of trying to use it on a red oak bow and had the nock split for 6 inches. String broke when stringing. I'm glasd I was not drawing it. FF was unpadded.

I know. I know... the mishap was my fault and not that of the string material. Despite the fact that I've made hundreds of bows and never had a bow's self nock split with B 50. I've also never ever broken a B 50 string though I did come close once.

Did you ever notice on archery internet sites of there is a problem with FF it's the bowyer's fault?

Ok...I'm feeling a bit on the irascible side today 'cause its nap time. :)

Let me get this straight. FF is ok as long as you pad the loops with B 50 and put on overlays on anything but osage.

Use it if you want but not everyone has had nothing but success with it. I know...my fault.:)

No thanks. Pass. :)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!