Author Topic: Dacron and Fast Flight hybrid string?  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Dacron and Fast Flight hybrid string?
« on: July 14, 2014, 12:12:34 pm »
I'm ordering some new string material and plan on buying some fast flight. My question is this. I already have some B50 in yellow and black. My strings that I make are flemish twist with one half being 5 strands of bronze/tan and 2 strands black, the other 5 bronze and two yellow. I was thinking of getting bronze in FF and making a string with that and the yellow and black remaining Dacron. Will this be a total waste? I don't really have the cash to buy all my colors in FF right now.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Dacron and Fast Flight hybrid string?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:38:45 pm »
My feeling is that the Dacron would just be dead weight and the FF would be taking all the strain.
Maybe they would share the load if reduced to fibres and spun together... but obviously that's not a practical suggestion.
A bit like lifting a heavy load with 3 steel cables and a bungie cord... :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:42:14 pm »
I'd kind of figured the dacron would just be there for the extra thickness and for the color variation that I'm going for. Would it perform better than a string made with all dacron?

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »
A waste of time.  It would still perform better than an all Dacron string, but then what doesn't?  >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:05:02 pm »
Id suggest all FF materials.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 02:18:41 pm »
The fastflight would do the work and the dacron would be along for the ride. I agree with PD, go with all FF.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 03:41:18 pm »
My Mike Treadway FG longbow came with a 1/2 FF and 1/2 Dacron string on it back in 1999 when  bought it. Mike said at the time that it helped to soften the FF somewhat. Maybe to protect the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »
I pad the loops with b50  on ff strings  running a color stripe May be OK but I have been told that the b50 stretches more than the ff ... so a 50/50 14 strand ends up as a 7 strand with dead weight...but I don't know that as fact ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 04:10:44 pm »
I say go for it !
You can always get more string if you dont like it

Now if you were going 50x50 I would say maybe not unless we were just playing around to see what it does
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 04:11:26 pm »
The hard part would be deciding just how far that B50 is going to go, then cut the bundles shorter. Or, just skip all that noise and make an 8 strand FF string and it will handle anything up to 60-65# easily. At 150# a strand it doesn't take much.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 07:29:24 pm »
why couldnt you prestretch the b50.. .then build the string..wouldnt they then (in theory) be "sharing) the load..even a b50 string stops stetching at some point?.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 07:47:06 pm »
Made one accidentally and it works fine but wouldn't do it intentionally. I recently got some ff and just started with three colors in small spools and will add colors when $$ permits it. You can always trade members for other colors of ff  to make various patterned strings. Jon at twin oaks made a good point with me in saying the cost might be more but you're using less strands.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 08:00:44 pm »
I did the math and posted it a while back. I was a bit off, still FF is cheaper per string. If I knew how to better search this site, Id find it for you.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 08:17:31 pm »
Actually the question that comes to my mind is how much will the FF stretch. We all know dacron will stretch a lot before breaking but will the FF stretch as much or will it reach a point where it will break before the dacron will.  If the later then if you have too few strands of FF then those may break and compromise the whole string
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 08:29:17 pm »
check and some basic math.

A 1/4# spool of B50 contains 1,075 ft
A 1/4# spool of d97 contains 1,675 ft

B50 requires no less than 12 strands, most use 14 or 16 strands

D97 requires 6-10 strands to cover any and all bows most of us shoot or build

Im not so sure B50 is cheaper. It would require about 75 feet of B50 to make a 64" string. It would require about 43 feet to make the same string with D97.

My rough math tells me I can get 38 string from a 1/4# spool of FF and about 15 strings from a 1/4# spool of B50.

Please correct me if my math is wrong, Im not good with numbers.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:29:59 pm by PEARL DRUMS »

Report to moderator    Logged

:::.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Crogacht

View Profile
 Email
 Personal Message (Offline)

this what you were talking about pearie

Re: Give us your Favorite String Material and why!

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2014, 01:38:07 pm »

You're probably right PD. Fastflight is 100 dollars a 1/4lb here though. How much do you guys pay for a roll of B50 compared to FF?

Report to moderator    Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline PEARL DRUMS

}}}--CK-->
View Profile
 Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Give us your Favorite String Material and why!

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2014, 01:40:09 pm »

I can find D97 for around $20 usd, B50 is around $8-12 usd. If you ask me? Its a dead heat, neither is cheaper, in the states anyway.

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹