Author Topic: Can cow rawhide (chew toys) be reliably joined in the working portion?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Has anyone tried to make a backing from cow rawhide and join it in multiple places? 

I was considering getting a chew toy and splcing the pieces togeather with a long lap joint, then gluing down to the bow and thinning with a coarse file.

Would this work and how many seams would you say are the max?  Pics of bows that worked out that this was done on?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:38:01 am by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline bubby

I did that a long time ago you gonna have to wrap it at each joint it's a lot of trouble for what it's worth it's easier just to get some longer rawhide
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

Google is your friend!!!! ;)

Offline autologus

I have done one but it was joined at the handle not on a working part of the limb.  I could see this as possible but I would probably lap it and then wrap it.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline JW_Halverson

I suppose you could, but it is sooooo thick!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline autologus

Yeah it is very thick about 3 to 4 times as thick as deer rawhide.  They both work just as well but the dog bone rawhide is harder to work with and ads a lot more weight.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
I know folks that do it,and yes it will work,if that is all you have go for it,I would try and get some deer rawhide or at least a longer strip of cow if it was me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good