Author Topic: Started my first bow! Tell me what you think.  (Read 4612 times)

Offline JayRob

Started my first bow! Tell me what you think.
« on: July 03, 2014, 04:28:11 pm »
I'm making my first bow out of an ash board I had laying around, mystery Indonesian hard wood handle and hickory tips. Essentially my goal with this project is to further understand the process and gain experience.

I dont have a band saw so it was all done with a hand saw, table saw, and chisels. Im using a spoke shave and a rasp for tillering and I'm just using 90lbs nylon rope right now, any suggestions on rope?

Im also unsure about the handle shape and arrow rest. Ive taken a pictures of the area I thinking of cutting out. All criticism is greatly appreciated.

-Iben

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:57:20 pm by Iben Jaqinov »

Offline Aaron H

Re: Started my first bow! Tell me what you think.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 04:34:24 pm »
Looks to me like your right limb isn't bending much mid-limb

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 06:06:10 pm »
I don't do boards so take this as I see it. The grain in that board looks scary to me. Let someone else comment before taking me too serious though.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 06:29:40 pm »
thats a lot of run offs buddy, id be suprised if this one produces your first, shooting, bow. 

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:34:29 pm »
It may produce your first wooden pipe bomb. Normally u want it rift or quarter sawn. Like it shows in your handle. U already got this far. Take it slow and careful
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline JayRob

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:40:17 pm »
I know the grain on the back is pretty bad, down the sides isn't too bad. Like I said in really just doing this for practice. I had this board laying around from a different project. It's wishful thinking that it will shoot for sure.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:55:43 pm by Iben Jaqinov »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 08:39:01 pm »
Its best to practice on something that has a chance. Kicking flat soccer balls isn't good practice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JayRob

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 08:43:21 pm »
The reason why I chose to practice on this board is because I already had it, ive never made a bow before and I didnt want to use an ash limb I picked up a week ago on my first attempt. But I definate understand what your saying.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 10:08:49 pm »
Hickory, hickory, pecan and hickory. Those are the best four kinds of boards to start on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

owlbait

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 10:29:33 pm »
Great screen name. You get to building bows and you'll need to change it to IBEN BOWYERIN ;) Sometimes you need to know when to stop practice and start over, especially if its a safety issue. Good luck.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 10:51:54 pm »
You might as well practice backing it too and you may even get it to hold together. Silk, linen, or brown paper bag.
Springfield, MO

Offline JayRob

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 11:54:02 pm »
You might as well practice backing it too and you may even get it to hold together. Silk, linen, or brown paper bag.

That's a great idea. Good practice.

Offline JayRob

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 04:11:20 pm »
I decided to slowly press on last night. I have never measured a draw weight before but i measured 28" on the wall and weighed it at 50lbs. I do not intend to shoot the bow for obvious reasons pointed out above but here it is.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 04:23:32 pm »
If your goal was getting practice at good tillering I'd say that project was worth your while. Good job! Get a good hickory board with straight grain, or better yet a nice stave and do that again. You'll have a great shooter.  8)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 05:33:43 pm »
I decided to slowly press on last night. I have never measured a draw weight before but i measured 28" on the wall and weighed it at 50lbs. I do not intend to shoot the bow for obvious reasons pointed out above but here it is.

You have to shoot an few arrows through it else you will seriously annoy the deities of bowmakin' and the spirits of the trees...
"Hey whadda ya do eh? You cutta da tree, you maka da bow and you donna shoots the arrows?..."  :o
(Yes folks, the tree spirits have faux Italian accents ::) )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.