Author Topic: Question on a recurve.  (Read 18361 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Question on a recurve.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 08:36:39 pm »
Lookin good Paul, more pics please, must be home again eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 09:33:23 pm »
I don't know Justin - never considered myself a teacher but if my little failures along the way will help others I'll keep em comin :). I've got the tip to tip through the handle almost right on now Ryano (but not perfectly :)) - still have a little meat to work with. I didn't heat the back at all that's just discoloration during curing. Thanks guys, I'll keep the pic's coming as I work it out :)...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 10:05:41 pm »
Paul
I've done more recurves than I can remember and plenty have been out of alignment. A trick I have developed to fix it is to clamp the bow in my vise with the misaligned tip hanging level with my workbench.  I then cut a small piece of wood long enough to push the tip just past its alignment point. Then I apply dry heat to the belly till the wood gets hot and let it sit for awhile till cold. This method assures that you only have to heat it once to get the tip aligned with the other. Hope this helps
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 01:02:35 pm »
Marc, I don't know if it helps Paul, but it helps me.  I have a hickory recurve that needs a little straightening. Thanks for sharing. I hope to know as much one day as you have forgotten.  ??? Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 01:58:56 am »
Thanks Marc - I'm going to try that method for my final adjustment. It doesn't look perfect in the picture, but just eyeballing down the back I think I can take a little width of this side or that of the tips and have them pretty well centered.
 Sorry Dana - yep I'm home finally and lovin it ;)!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 09:40:08 am »
You may have to make some adjustments as you tiller the bow as well. You'll find sometimes that a tip has to be misaligned slightly just so that the string will track well through the draw.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline cowboy

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 12:17:25 am »
I don't fully understand that yet Marc, maybe has something to do with the stave not being perfectly flat and straight? Sure It'll hit me in the head one day ;D. Well, didn't want to let this thing set idle for too long so I wouldn't have to dig through pages of posts to find it.
 I brought it along to work with me this week along with a bag of rasps and stuff ;D. A little OT in the Hotel room and I have the tips worked down purty close. The overlays are of Texas or Mexican Mountain Laurel (also Mescalbean) root. I picked this wood up in south TX and be durned if it don't look (almost) just like osage (and hard) but the rings are a lot tighter and has some yella, orange, a reddish colors to it. Anyway - real purty and hard :).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gordon

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 02:36:14 am »
She's looking really good Paul.
Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 08:01:40 am »
Dang Paul she's got nice curves and nice tips ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Minuteman

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 09:45:22 am »
That bow was prolly the only good thing in the whole town of Lawton.
 Man, I hated that place.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 03:18:16 pm »

Lookin' good...hoping for a successful conclusion for you! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 05:39:16 pm »

as greg says!
Frank from Germany...

Offline cowboy

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 06:19:53 pm »
Thanks everybody! I'm back home now and have the back roughed up for some sinew - gotta get back to hammerin ;D.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 01:21:14 am »
Well, got done hammerin and sinewin. That's about the roughest sinew job I've seen, but being the first attempt I didn't really know what to expect :). Man that Knox jellatin starts settin up fast and I'll comb that sinew out a little finer next time - live and learn.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 08:22:26 am »
Your wife let ya do it in the kitchen :o She's a keeper Paul ;D

Manistique, MI