Author Topic: Simple D Bow...handle  (Read 5244 times)

Offline Staver

Simple D Bow...handle
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:42:16 pm »
I'm new to the PA site and was interested in making a simple D bow, but I'm not sure what the demensions/location of the handle should be.  Do you just put a leather handle on the middle of the bow?  Is the handle offset from middle point?  If you add an arrow rest to it, is it better to use leather versus wood? ???  Even though these questions seem simple, for the simplest of bows, I thought I'd throw this idea out there because there's so many cool thoughts and practical designs out there :).

Joe H

Offline Gordon

Re: Simple D Bow...handle
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:25:18 am »
Check out my hazelnut build-a-long in the howto forum. It shows one way to build a D-style bow.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:36:14 am »
Welcome to PA, Staver.  The way I make most of my bows now is symmetrical...meaning the center of the handle is in the center of the bow.   I like to use a floppy rest(Mickey Lotz's idea) for an arrow rest. It is as simple as a D bow. ;D  I have made D bows from 49" long to 68" long. The D bow is a simple design but it makes a very effective weapon.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:58:38 am »
In a D bow the handle should bend and it should be the widest part of the bow. Therefore, it can not be narrowed. I usually shoot the arrow 1 to 1.25 inches above center. Depends on how the tiller looks. If the lower limb is a bit too stiff I'll go 1.25 inches, etc. My rests are just a bit of leather. Info on my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

bowstick

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:39:27 am »
If you put a leather handle on the bow, it is simple to make a wedge style arrow rest, cut a slit in the leather, and slide the arrow rest into the leather, it looks nice too.   You can use some horn, bone, antler, or a scrap peice of wood.  Or you can leave it bare wood and glue those things on too.    I sculpt my arrow rests on a lot of my bows.

but don't want to cut an arrow rest on a d-bow, asking for disaster.

Good luck with your bow.

Justin S.
bowstick.com

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 11:41:47 am by bowstick »

Offline Staver

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:35:13 pm »
Thanks for all the replys everyone!

Gordon, your hazelnut build-a-long is great and packed with lots of info!  I learned a lot from your forum and will return to read it some more!  I wished I would have read it before posting the questions :-[!

Pat B, I originally read Mickey Lotz's article on the simple D bow and that's what got me pysched to build one.    I was kinda stumped though when trying to understand where the arrow rest might be. I like the floppy rest also and might just incorporate it into my first one.

Jawge, I really appreciate the idea of putting the arrow rest as high as 1.25" above center line depending on the tiller.  That makes the most sense to me especially if the lower limb is a tad stiffer than the upper.  Thanks for the link. 

Justin, your sculpted rest is intricate, detailed and amazing!  Since I'm going towards simplicity, I may choose the floppy rest, but I also like the idea of using an antler wedge.  Your work is inspiring and may give me some ideas for future bows.

I'm pysched to know that there is no one simple and absolute answer.  So now I can try out all different suggestions and if I find one that works particularly well... then I'll stick with it; if not... I'll try something else.  That's what makes it cool.

Thanks again guys! :)

BTW  I just finished my first bow.  It's an osage with a bit of character to it.  68" ntn, 50# @ 28".  Traditional Cherokee handle bow (from Al Herrin's book, Cherokee Bows and Arrows).     

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:23:13 am »
...well, where are the pics? >:(  We need pics! ;D      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC