Author Topic: fletchin hight.short vs normal  (Read 1909 times)

Offline beartail

fletchin hight.short vs normal
« on: June 29, 2014, 09:39:09 am »
hay yaw.got my cane already to fletch.i got my feathers 8" long and nipped the ends back 1/2" for securing.i want the arrows to have the Sioux lookin fletch,long and short.now my question is,if ive done everything proper,bare shafting and hiting where ima lookin with no fletch at 15 yards will the short fletching be adaqueit ? long ,short,will short fletching be a disadvantage to arrow flight?
man these arrers are gonna be perty!! I used 2" cut nails I ground to points and putem in the cane cavity and secured with pitch glue and wrapped with sinue around 2"down.cant wate to shootem!!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: fletchin hight.short vs normal
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 12:08:43 pm »
Seven to eight inches long would not be unusual for Lakota/Nakota/etc.  You can make them about 3/8 high at the back with a straight taper down to the front of the fletch.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:28:32 pm »
Pics we need pics........... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 12:35:48 pm »
If your arrows fly well bare shaft it shouldn't take much fletching to aid the flight of a broadhead. You may just have to do a few test shots.
 From looking at "Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers" by Hamm & Allely the Sioux arrows they have drawn have fletching from about 5" to 8" long and about 3/8" tall at the highest point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline beartail

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:36:24 am »
yep,thats what I was hopein.i wish I could post some pics but don't have a camera :(