Author Topic: Passing of an archer  (Read 3784 times)

Offline longbow man

Passing of an archer
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:23:08 pm »
     We lost Jeff Yesterday. He,my son and I have been going on shoots for 10 years. From Tennessee Classic to Cloverdale to Marshall Michigan and beyond we formed a little group that sometimes got quite large. He was the best of companions when the weather was bad because he just laughed it off. A driving rain blowing sideways under our canopy left me cussing and him grinning. Never saw him mad or upset. Couldn't figure it. When tornado warnings were out and the wind really picked up what did he do? He talked us into going out for an ice cream. Most of you never knew Jeff but you saw him around. Big guy kinda hard to miss. Wasn't on P.A. He wanted to make his own bow but shot mine till he could get to it. That bow now mounts my shop wall. Not gonna shoot it again. Jeffs bow. We lost a good friend and archer. Shoots won"t be the same. Like losing a son. Goodby.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Passing of an archer
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:32:39 pm »
So sorry to hear that,wished you had a picture,I am awful with name but bet I know him. Always hard to loose a good friend.You and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.  :(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:34:30 pm »
Any pics longbow man? I go to all those shoots and would love to put a face to Jeff's memory. I can process and post a few if you'd like me to. It would be my pleasure.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 12:47:30 pm »
Same here
 Not sure which Jeff
Sorry for your and our loss !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:28:10 pm »
I am truly sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers.
Mark

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend lbm. Keep him in your heart and he will not be forgotten. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:26:36 pm »
On Sunday afternoon at the Ft Union Rendezvous, I was feeling something blue.  Folks all around were tearing down tents and loading up.  There were very few folks from the public walking around, so I wasn't doing a lot of bowmaking demonstration.  I looked at the long, long field to the east and decided to fire one arrow down the way, sort of a "parting shot".

As I drew back, I said to myself, "This is for those not with us today" and loosed the shaft.  The bow a was 63# @ 26" ERC from Young Bowyer (Tom) and the arrow was an ash shafted, turkey fletched that weighed about 700 grains.  I stepped off 172 yards while I thought of all the people I knew that I lost this year.  When I pulled the shaft from the earth, I felt much better.

That shot was for you too, Jeff. Thanks for sharing your life with us, even if you didn't post here.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 06:26:12 am »
Thoughts and Prayers sent ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 07:37:42 am »
Very sorry to hear of this loss. Sharon and I had just recently had Jeff, Casey and Mike as camp neighbors at the Marshall gathering, I truly regret not getting to know you three better before his passing. Our thoughts will be with
you, your son and Jeff's family during this sad and difficult time longbow man.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 07:52:03 am »
Very sorry to hear this. Probably know Jeff if I saw him. Sounds like he was a lot of fun.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 09:05:19 am »
sorry to hear that longbow man - we'll keep the families in our prayers!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline kid bow

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 01:00:13 pm »
I'm sorry brother.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline longbow man

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 06:30:49 pm »
    We all said goodby to Jeff a few hrs ago. Big crowd. Nice to have friends. Jeff hated suits so it was requested that the service was to be casual. Well it was casual alright. I wore my Marshall Michigan t-shirt ,Jessica wore her Twin Oaks shirt and Casey wore his Lucky Irish shirt. Looked like we came straight from the shoot. Everybody else dressed much the same. We didn't know that Jeff collected all of his archery buttons, so Casey collected a handfull containing the Tenn Classic, Cloverdale, and Marshall and others and pinned them beside Jeff. With Gods grace Jeff will be walking the trails with us again. Casey has a large farewell toast planned tonight and it brings to mind a battered group of vikings raising their tankards and saluting a fallen comrad. I wish to thank all who responded in helping me to cope with this. Jeff,s family was larger than he thought.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 06:45:41 pm »
If his family was larger than he thought, he did it right.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 10:58:28 am »
Tough time ahead,I will keep yall in my thoughts and prayers. :(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good