Author Topic: Peer Review  (Read 4745 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Peer Review
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 03:27:16 pm »
If he wants to know where to improve, all he has to do is post it and let us know he wants advice. Most wont say anything if not asked to by the builder.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 03:27:45 pm »
Watch your mouth bubbly. My girly bow can chuck an arrow from here to NoCal.....................
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 03:30:33 pm »
And Jojo, I make lots of board bows they are cheap to make and can shoot as good as any bow ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 03:32:21 pm »
Watch your mouth bubbly. My girly bow can chuck an arrow from here to NoCal.....................
  >:D, yeah it prolly can buddy :laugh:

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 04:08:11 pm »
Pearly
I have some pink stain still if you need it !  >:D ;)

Steve
Good thread here !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 06:14:25 pm »
Nice post, Steve.
Sounds like I started something. :)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 06:54:52 pm »
Steve I'm with slim on this one.  I am quite new to this and the amount of info you directly contributed got me into working on making better bows, along with all of the knowledge on here.  A true thanks to posts like this one and to everyone with the knowledge and willingness to give it to a newcomer.  I like the sarcasm as well as the criticism.  It helps.  You'll never learn if everyone tells you things are great when they are just polished turds.  Which I can make a mighty fine polished turd.  Too many years building guitars. :'(. Not anymore though.  Now I just cut hair.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »
NDN were not strangers to stiff handle bows.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 08:28:07 pm »
Anyone on here is welcome to critique or ask questions about any bow I post. I know that I could learn something from anyone of the guys on this site, most of what I already know I got from you guys anyway. :) Not sure I have any unique or special methods for getting a bow made and if you ask me how I did somethings I may not have a clear answer or I may have forgotten what I did during the course of making the bow in question as that is my nature. I usually just plow into them and see what comes out, not the best approach I know but I just enjoy making them.
I do enjoy reading the discussions of others more knowledgeable than myself, it's always interesting to me and I've learned quite a bit from these discussions. As long as there is talk about bows and bow making I'll be here soaking it in...... and who knows I'll probably learn a thing or two from Pearly when he post his girly bow. ;) 

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 01:28:53 am »
NDN were not strangers to stiff handle bows.

Nor were other primitive peoples. We really have VERY few examples of bows from earlier times. Wood just does not preserve well in the wild.

My primitive period of preference isn't really primitive, it's the 1930s. At least most bows were entirely natural materials in that decade. I  could appreciate the '20s too, but I don't really like the ELBs.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 11:45:32 pm »
Good thread, Steve, and Jawge you started something a long time ago ;). Myself, I like trying to make any style bow, ( except a board bow or hickory) ::), depending on what the wood will let me do. And then I like pushing the envelope to try and get the very best out of it if I'm keeping it for myself.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 10:05:48 am »
My definition of a primitive bow has more to do with a poorly executed one than a time period or the material it was made from.  A poorly constructed glass backed r/d bow that doesn't shoot as well a self bow is the more primitive bow in my view.

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 02:19:51 pm »
My definition of a primitive bow has more to do with a poorly executed one than a time period or the material it was made from.  A poorly constructed glass backed r/d bow that doesn't shoot as well a self bow is the more primitive bow in my view.

not primitive, just poorly executed