Author Topic: A well built Bow  (Read 5017 times)

Offline bow101

A well built Bow
« on: June 19, 2014, 08:22:24 pm »
In one short sentence what would your definition be of a well built bow that you made..?  I have not built many bows but from what I learned is this.  Once a bow is done to my satisfaction pulling a certain draw weight and length and shot in, the bow should be able to be pulled at least a couple inches past intended draw length without taking more set or showing any frets.  I hope that makes sense...... ???
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:45:40 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: A well built Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:33:58 pm »
A well built bow is one you like everything about, the look, feel , shooting, everything!
 They stick around for many moons !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:42:10 pm »
I won't argue with you there..... :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 08:46:35 pm »
   Ifeel like a really well built bow should incorporate a few basics into it. Wood is at the right moisture, a design that matches the wood, draw weight and draw length. Takes a small amount of set and performs at a slightly higher level . It has to be ballanced in the hand and tolerate slight overdraws, string has to align, low handshock and quiet.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:56:05 pm »
I'm all about keeping it simple, really simple. A well built bow is one that I functions the way it was meant to. In others words, if I can shoot what I'm aiming at and take game with it on a regular basis, for many years. It's a well built bow. Form follows function for me.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:22:28 am »
Hits what I look at and smooth to draw and shoot. Holds up through a lot of punishment in the woods and on the range  :) that about covers it for me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 06:15:02 am »
Like any definition of quality it's "fitness for purpose" and "does it meet the specification".
Now I know we all write out a full specification before we build a bow, and file it alongside the risk assessment, cost benefit analysis and our expenses claims and time sheets >:D
But seriously, a well built bow is the one that does what we wanted me too.
My "one hour bow", is horrible! Tons of set and a mass of chrysal...  but it's a well built bow! Because it did what I wanted...
A shootable bow in one hour, of about 40# using only axe  :laugh:.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:29:31 am »
Depends on who is shooting it....  I consider one well built if it shoots smooth and quiet and I can hit with it - that's if I am shooting it.   I consider one of my bows well built if I can hand it to anybody and say "shoot this one" without worrying #1 Is it going to break? and #2 Are they going to talk bad it?  Now, that worry free, bomb proof bow probably isn't going to shoot as sweet as what I would want for my hunting bow this year, but then again, I wouldn't hand most of my bows to just anyone.  It really just depends.  Now that sounded like a bunch of BS didn't it?.  ;D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 06:34:20 am »
Yep.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Just kidding,I to love to hand one to someone else and first shot from them is in the bull's eye,and you can tell when they hand it back
and say man that is nice or shoots sweet that they really mean it.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 06:46:11 am »
Heck yeah!  Now that's a well built bow - maybe the best definition.  A well built bow is one that you can hand over to another archer who shoots it, hits the target with it, and falls in love with it.   Pappy, you might have nailed it down.   ;)  That's one of the best feelings I know of - watching somebody shoot one of your bows and then getting that good feedback grin.  That is good stuff.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 07:20:02 am »
For me nothing else matters until the tiller is perfect, nothing. Not the recipe, not the moisture, not the longevity, not the finish, not the grip, not the balance or even how accurate it is. In my tiny bow building book if that tiller isn't right the bow wont last and will break down after fancy pics are taken.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 07:35:44 am »
I consider a bow of mine well built if it's not overbuilt, but creeps right up to the limits of the material without creating more than an inch or so of set. If it balances in the archer's hand while carrying and pointing and canting various amounts, if ithe static and dynamic balance points are close to one another and the string hand fulcrum minimizing distracting shifts during the draw... If it draws smooth and doesn't stack too soon. if the grip is comfortable and unlikely to be torqued, and its design flows effortlessly into the limbs... If fit and finish is the best I'm capable of.  if I'm attrcted to the bow aestically, and by touch... if it's durable. If it's inherently tuned. If it's forgiving of arrow spine, human error. If it casts a hunting weight arrow straight away with purpose. If it lasts many years. If I would feel nothing but confidence and pride if I were to hand it to a Master bowyer for critique... and so on... I would consider it well-built.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 08:45:12 am »
I'm a simple guy when it comes to what makes a well built bow...  A well built bow makes meat. Anything else is just practice.   ;D
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 08:52:33 am »
I'm a simple guy when it comes to what makes a well built bow...  A well built bow makes meat. Anything else is just practice.   ;D
;D That's true.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 09:22:26 am »
  One of my favorite quotes " A perfect bow has no memory of ever having been bent"