Author Topic: Bear 76'er  (Read 4454 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Bear 76'er
« on: June 19, 2014, 09:18:38 am »
A work mate of mine asked me to make a string for his fish killer. Its a 76'er with a red magnesium handle and white solid fiberglass limbs. Ive never seen solid glass limbs on a 76'er. Suppose they are from another bow? Or did Bear mfg some that way?

Thanks
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Bear 76'er
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:20:59 am »
You got me, I've never seen them either.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:23:04 am »
They fit in the sockets Eddie, but not tight enough for my tastes. It was one of those $5 garage sale specials. He hasn't drawn it yet. I wont!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:43:15 am »
Yes those limbs are original to the bow. I have one I bought new in '76. Killed my first hog with it. Great fishing bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:49:51 am »
Well cool, thanks pine.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:43:05 pm »
I have never seen a 76er that didn't have solid fiberglass limbs and seen a bunch of them.

I got one in trade that had badly warped limbs. I decided I would fix it or break it and really shot the heat to the twisted limbs. They straightened right out.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 03:09:32 pm »
Chris
bear manufactured 2 different thickness limbs.
it may be that the wrong thickness limbs are paired with the riser
even the correct limbs r a little loose until the bow is strung.
I have owned 3 or 4 of the 76rs  they r great shooters n make a hell of a bowfishing rig.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 03:55:56 pm »
Pearl,
I wish I could help you but I can't
I'll post a bow that maybe you can help me identify. (new thread)
Thanks
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 07:38:10 pm »
Is the '76er like the minuteman?
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 09:08:17 am »
I thought you were talking about the old, transluscent glass.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 11:26:18 am »
76er and minute man same bow, different make up.. You could get the limbs in several different weights. All ive seen were the white solid limb... I took a piece of super thin leather to each limb bottom so they would fit better and be quieter. Makes a nice bowfishin rig but...they sink if dropped inda water..trust me, lol.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 04:29:15 pm »
A friend had one he bought in 1976 that had red, white and blue limbs. The one I straightened the limbs on had brown limbs and a brown riser, it may have been a Minuteman but I thought it said 76er on it.

I gave the one I fixed to a young man who expressed an interest in traditional archery and needed a bow to start with. I gave it to him on the condition that if traditional archery wasn't for him I wanted it back to give to the next young person looked like they wanted to shoot a stick bow.

It turned out traditional archery wasn't for him but never returned the bow, some people are not to be trusted apparently. 

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 09:10:18 pm »
76'ers came in 5 different color patterns. Most of the target weight bows were loud bright colors. The hunting weight ones had brown or green risers and brown or green limbs. Had one that was 45# and served as a back up to my Kodiak Magnum back in the day. Most going for stupid money on auction sites now, but $10 would get you one at a yard sale up til about 2 years ago...Think Hunger Games, and everyone thinks they are an Archer...go figure.
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 11:00:17 am »
This bow is lucky to hit 25# @ 28". Not so sure he'll kill many fish with that, probably none.